[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Astro 220

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 14:28:58 MST 2007

>Range is still the same as the advertised range for the Rhino though .. Up
>to 5 miles in flat unobstructed terrain.

The 'advertised' range on the Rino 530 is 12 miles (GMRS/5 watts). But you
are lucky to get 3 or so miles with it (obviously, lots of things effecting
the range... terrain, atmospheric conditions, antenna, etc).

>$649.99 WOW..

This is the retail price. It will likely sell around $499 or so when it hits
the online stores. The Rino 530 retailed for like $535 or so I think? But it
sold at about $499 and you can get it now for $399. Really, not a bad price
for both a GPS and a radio. The 60CSX is just a GPS and sells for that
price.

>The Rhino is already running on VHF frequencies, so I am thinking this is
>simply a Rhino that broadcasts for itself instead of having to be keyed up.

The Rino unit is not VHF... it is UHF. The GMRS and FRS operate in the
460mhz UHF frequency band. VHF frequencies are better suited for outdoor
applications requiring maximum coverage areas. The VHF signals penetrate
natural foliage and vegetation much better than the higher UHF frequencies
and VHF will travel much farther outdoors. VHF frequencies are more
susceptable to man made objects like steel, steel reinforced concrete
buildings. In most cases, outdoors in rural environments a 2 watt VHF radio
will have 50% more range than a 2 watt UHF radio. Of course, the radio is
only as good as it's antenna. The Rino needs an improved antenna. My answer
to this is a screw on antenna that is not weatherproofed with the rest of
the unit. There can be an O ring or seal at the threading to protect the
rest of the unit from water should it be dropped in water. This screw on
antenna would also allow for the user to upgrade the antenna if they so
choose to and also allow for the adaptation of an external antenna. This
plus a 5 watt VHF radio would make the Rino 530's next installment the
greatest little GPS/radio device!!!

I have used the Rino 530 fairly extensively now on 4 or 5 balloon flights. I
have also used them geocaching and also for some ground to ground
communications. I have done all this in a number of different weather
scenarios (wet, humid airmass with 95% humidity and also on very dry days).
I still cant get more than a few miles line of sight with 'crystal clear'
communication. After about 3 miles, it gets scratchy. The position reporting
does seem to go MUCH farther. So even with a very weak signal, it appears it
will still get the data thru. I am on the Garmin Rino users board and many
seem to agree the antenna lacks due to the weatherproofing of the unit.

I know the commander of the Superstition SAR and they have several older
Rino 120 units (2 watts max GMRS) that they use in SAR missions. We had a
chat about them on the phone just the other day. He agrees that the radio is
not very good, but that they are still able to get position reports from
greater distances (with mountains in between, etc). He said they rarely talk
on the radios anyways and use them primarily to update each members
position.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind