[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Rino 520/530

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 13:16:28 MST 2006

>From: ShadowAce <>

>  Your ground crew is made up of all family memebers, yes?

Yep. We are one big happy family!!! :)))))  ;)

>General Mobile Radio Service
>Available to an individual (one man or one woman) for two-way voice
>communication service to facilitate the activities of the individual's
>intermediate family members
>I would say using the GMRS channels for a business would be taking a risk I
>am not sure is worth it since the Licensed GMRS users are becoming
>organized
>like HAM users. I have read reports of people using triangulation to
>pinpoint and report illegal broadcasts. While an individual is rarely
>chased
>down or apprehended, business users are not so able to hide.
>This could be pinned in the same topic as software piracy. Most companies
>will not go after the end user, they go after the company selling it.
>not saying dont get one, I just felt as you said about HAM, you might want
>to research the GMRS.

Yea, I read the FCC site in more detail just now and GMRS is indeed not for
commercial or business purposes. That sucks. FRS is available for use, but
again the FRS sucks and it is only a 0.5 watts. I agree with you in that
GMRS seems to be a more organized and tighter nit group and I kind of was
thinking they might be alot like the HAM radio crowd. With the Rino's it is
very easy to be tracked, since there is the posibility someone else can
track you on their screen!

The FCC used to regulate CB radio use, but they pretty much gave up on it
years ago and I think that is because it was very popular and getting way
out of hand. Other than you still must be FCC approved CB radios, there are
no other regulations on their use. I personally know a couple of people that
are using 300 watt amps on their CB's and talking for great distances and
using towers in their back yards! It is illegal to modify the CB (increasing
the stock units wattage). But no one ever gets caught. I think FRS and
perhaps GMRS will likely fall into the same category as CB's soon enough as
FRS is hugely popular (you can buy dirt cheap FRS radio's in every store on
every corner). GMRS radio's arent as popular, but I think they are growing
in popularity and since Garmin came out with the Rino's, I suspect it's
popularity will increase alot more. I am told by stores that they sell ALOT
of those Rino units to hunters, hikers, etc.

I got on the hot air balloon listserv archives and did a search for Rino 530
subject matter and actually found a little bit of stuff. A number of pilots
are using them for 2 way communications. The general consensus is that the
FRS sucks and is no good for 2 way communications and that one is better off
with their motorola VHF radios. But that the GMRS does very well (the 530
with the 5 watts)l. A couple suggested that the GMRS was still not as good
with the radio range as their old radios, but most all seemed to agree they
are way better. I know several of the pilots that said they use the Rino
530's are commercial pilots running ride operations. Wether they use them
for commercial flights or just private flights, I dont know. Then again, the
FCC probably doesnt know either and probably never will! But....

Most all the pilots agreed the position tracking is awsome for ballooning
and helps aid the ground crew in finding their balloon and finding their way
too the balloon with the use of the color mapping when streets and topo maps
are downloaded in the units.

Something to note: the FCC granted Garmin a Waiver to now allow operation of
the position reporting features on the Rino units using GMRS without needing
a license. This allows for much improved use of that feature. However,
legally, one would have to communicate on the FRS frequencies if for
business use. Of course, if I am just out flying on a recreational flight,
then it is all good and the GMRS can legally be used... with a license of
course.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind