[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Rino 520/530

ShadowAce shadowace.az at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 11:19:02 MST 2006

On 12/14/06, Roping The Wind <arizcowboy at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that article Shadowace! I have seen APRS in use before and it
> is
> awsome. The only drawback to HAM radio, it cannot be used for commercial
> operations (perhaps GMRS cannot either? I dont know).
>
> Scott
> Team Ropingthewind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mobile_Radio_Service
History

GMRS, General Mobile Radio Service, was originally named *Class A Citizens
Radio Service* when it was rolled out in the 1960s. Tube type transceivers
were used and output power was limited to 60 watts plate input power to the
final amplifier tube. The original service ran wideband FM with ±15 kHz
transmitter deviation and 50 kHz channel spacing. At the time, this was the
norm for all U.S. land mobile services. There was also a Class B Citizens
Radio Service which used a different set of 461 MHz channels and was limited
to 5 watts output. Business users were permitted to license in this radio
service. Radios were built by consumer electronics firms and commercial
two-way radio vendors.

In the 1960s, the UHF 450-470 MHz band was ordered reallocated to 25 kHz
channels. This meant transmitter deviation was reduced to ±5 kHz. This
doubled the number of channels available across the entire 450-470 MHz band.
Class B Citizens Radio Service channels were re-allocated to other radio
services.

In the 1970s, allowed power was again changed to 50 watts across the output
terminals of the transmitter. In the 1980s, licensing of business users was
discontinued and businesses were allowed to continue operating until their
licenses expired. There was congestion on all channels in larger metropolitan
statistical areas<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_statistical_area>and
moving businesses to Business Radio Service channels would provide
some
relief. The radio service was changed to its present name. Repeaters began
to proliferate in the 1980s after the prevalence of unlicenced operations in
the Class D Citizens
Band<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_band_radio>made
HF <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HF> CB radios unusable in many
applications.

----------

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile

The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) is a land-mobile radio service
available for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the
activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family members,
including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews,
nieces, and in-laws (47 CFR 95.179). Normally, as a GMRS system licensee,
you and your family members would communicate among yourselves over the
general area of your residence or during recreational group outings, such as
camping or hiking.

  Your ground crew is made up of all family memebers, yes?

According to the FCC license page:

General Mobile Radio Service
Available to an individual (one man or one woman) for two-way voice
communication service to facilitate the activities of the individual's
intermediate family members
 I would say using the GMRS channels for a business would be taking a risk I
am not sure is worth it since the Licensed GMRS users are becoming organized
like HAM users. I have read reports of people using triangulation to
pinpoint and report illegal broadcasts. While an individual is rarely chased
down or apprehended, business users are not so able to hide.

 This could be pinned in the same topic as software piracy. Most companies
will not go after the end user, they go after the company selling it.

 not saying dont get one, I just felt as you said about HAM, you might want
to research the GMRS.