[Az-Geocaching] question? can someone help?

Jake Olson jake.teamai at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 22:46:57 MST 2006

Hi Debbie,

There are a few ways that a GPS can handle coordinates.  Usually, you are
using the default, which is what is the common datum for geocaching.

A quick way I have of verifying the coordinates is to go to
maps.google.comand paste the coordinates there.  I pasted the
coordinates in and got the
following....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=34.45396185,+-111.25077724&ll=34.533712,-111.253052&spn=1.8915,5.482178

The trick you have to remember is that we are in the western hemisphere so
the second data set needs to be converted to a negative number to make it
West.

This explaination can get really complicated, so I opted to make it simple
and to the point.  You could go into your GPS unit and change the dataset,
but if you have an internet connection handy, its faster just to load a
webpage.

Google maps does a pretty good job of figuring out what you are looking for
based on the data you input... so I'm hoping that you were looking for
something in the just north of Payson area.

I hope this helps.

Jake - Team A.I.