[Az-Geocaching] For those hard to find caches....

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Fri Jan 21 08:30:43 MST 2005

Not necessarily.  You can bet that the governments in possession of such
technology will go to extreme lengths to keep that tech out of the hands of
the 'bad guys'.  Now, the ability to take a plane down without a missile has
obvious implications here in the US.  You fire a missile, and the debris
field is enormous.  Simply bake the electronics and it falls like a brick,
shrinking the debris field completely.  Plus, it is theoretically possible
to determine just where the plane will fall, reducing ground casualties
significantly.  If it is able to kill an aquarium full of fish in minutes,
increasing the blast strength on an airliner may well kill those on board as
well, taking away the threat that they might have to endure a 5-mile
freefall before hitting the ground and finally dying.  As rough as that is
to consider, it's a real threat that may have to be addressed in such a
manner.  Remember, it's coming out now that one of the planes on 9/11 may
have been shot down instead of being forced to crash by those on board.  On
9/13/01, Davis Monthan scrambled 2 F-16s with that very goal in mind, after
radar picked up an aircraft heading toward Palo Verde.  They made it from
the airstrip to the violation zone in 3 minutes, but ended up not finding
anything.  You can bet that they would have issued a very stern warning,
followed by some Mach 3+ lovin'.

Whether or not the concept in the article is real or not, I vote for real.
The idea of a DEW (directed energy weapon) has been around for awhile, and
if I'm not mistaken the US military already has such technology, but this
may be the holy grail of it.  Think of the original computer that was the
size of a house.  Now, they fit in the palm of your hand.  Something like
the Angel Light will shrink to a handgun size, which is only a matter of
time.  I fully expect that sentence to spur some sort of comment from
Trisha, so I wait patiently to be amused.

Brian
Team A.I.