[Az-Geocaching] altimeter

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 3 22:19:07 MST 2005

>From: connie stahlman <cstahlman at yahoo.com>
>To: listserv at azgeocaching.com
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] altimeter
>Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:54:25 -0800 (PST)
>
>Bringing all you 'space travelers' back to our time- I have
>a question.  A friend needs to know the altitude wherever
>he goes due to his wifes breathing problems.  I showed him
>my Etrex and how it can tell him such and he was quite
>interested.  Have any of you got opinions on what might be
>the best -and easiest- thing for him to use-he is only
>interested in 'easy use'. and since he does the driving she
>would have to learn to use it!

I would suggest getting a hold of a used altimeter from an old airplane or
something. They can be found really cheap. In fact, do a search on Ebay and
you will probably find a ton of them! You can mount it right on the dash in
your car! You dont have to do anything to it! They are dummy proof! No
batteries either! They are relatively small too.

I have a used United Instruments altimeter out of one of my old balloons
that I was thinking of putting into the instrument panel in my truck! There
is an empty space in there (where an a/c duct use to be) that it would fit
right in there perfectly! It needs to be returned to the factory to be
re-calibrated though.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind