[Az-Geocaching] energy

Richard E Holmes Corporation reh at reholmes.com
Sun Aug 14 08:48:10 MST 2005

Hybrids are certainly the environmental darling de jour. But, with 10 billion cars worldwide at a median age of four years, if we attain a 50% mix of hybrids we will be disposing of over a billion very large very toxic batteries every year. Well, we could try "glassification". Or, how about developing disposal sites? Yeah, Yucca Flats--great idea.

I rented a Chevrolet Aveo about a month ago; I got over 50 MPG. So, if I were looking for a new commuter car would I buy an $9k Aveo; no, I buy a hybrid that cost at least 3 times as much, gets half the mileage, but gets a $4k environmental rebate, no vehicle tax, gasoline tax rebate, gets to use the HOV lanes, and best of all I get to change out the $2k battery every 50k miles.

I guess those in the current "political know" would say I just don't get it.

Creepin' Jeepers