[Az-Geocaching] Bronco One

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 01:32:35 MST 2004

>From: "Paul Hruby" <xqsxqs at qwest.net>
>To: az-geocaching at listserv.azgeocaching.com
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Bronco One
>Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:55:44 -0700
>
>I just joined the list since a fellow geo-cacher noticed a thread regarding
>Bronco One.
>
>I had a similar experience - I was trying to purchase a Garmin 76CS? last
>summer and looked at all the different web sites and was actually bidding
>on
>units on E-Bay, but the prices were around 325.00.  Then a friend told me
>about Bronco One.  I always took my CB problems there and had no problems
>so
>I thought I'd stop by.
>
>Although Bronco One had the 76CS priced about the same as what was going on
>Ebay and a little cheaper then the Internet stores, I was steered to and
>did
>purchase a Garmin EMap.  I had a 64MB memory card installed and was out the
>door spending just a little less.   Although the unit was new, I realized
>that when I got it home, it was made in 97 (1st 2 digits of the s/n).  So I
>went to Garmin's site (should have done that first, but being a newbee -
>live and learn) and noticed the unit was discontinued.
>
>Now for what's it's worth, I really like the Emap.  It's small enough,
>doesn't use much power and I have a lot of street information loaded - Most
>of Arizona, part of Nevada and southern California.  The only thing that I
>don't like is that the unit isn't really water resistant.
>
>I did notice that Bronco One charged a little under retail for the
>accessories, so I went to Ebay and bought a magnetic antenna and car
>adapter
>for 1/4 the price at Bronco One.  The antenna is awesome.  I went from 3 or
>4 sats at 30-50% out of 12 sats while in the car to 8 sats at 100% - all
>for
>less then $25.00.
>
>All in all, I really like the EMap.
>
>BTW, the owner of Bronco One supposedly closed shop, sold all his land
>investments for 35 million and moved to France.  Now that could have been a
>bunch of @!@#%@!! for all I know.  He may have sold the store to someone
>else because I drove by there a week ago and although the fence was closed,
>people were still buying propane.
>Sonic Warthog

I wouldnt think you would need an external antenna for your GPS to work in
your car. My Garmin 60C picks up 12 satellites no problem sitting in the
front seat of my truck (not on the dash). The Emap is an ok unit as far as
the big screen goes. Other than that... well, it aint all that great. That
is why Garmin discontinued it and why that sleezeball at Bronco One tried to
sell you on it.. cuz he wanted to get rid of them!!! At any rate, a GPS is a
GPS as long as it works. So enjoy it while you own it.. but, as Jake said...
I too would highly recommend the 60C. I use one too. It is by far the best
value in any outdoor GPS currently on the market, offering the most features
for your money. Just do the homework.... read all the reviews and compare
features. There is no comparison in a full color handheld outdoor GPS unit
currently on the market, IMHO.

Scott
Team RTW