[Az-Geocaching] Problems with Mapsource datafile: downloaded topo maps don't appear

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:39:02 -0800

>From: "Team Tierra Buena" <teamtierrabuena@earthlink.net>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Problems with Mapsource datafile:  downloaded
>topo maps don't appear
>Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:47:01 -0700
>
> > Therefore, how can I download a new map into my GPS without erasing
>the
> > other maps in the GPS?
>You can't. The Vista wipes out all maps except the base map whenever you
>load new ones. You'll have to reload them every time. If you're trying
>to save space, in the Vista it may not be a problem (though it may be a
>bigger issue for topo maps than it is for my roads & rec maps). But
>timewise, you just have to live with it.
>Right now in my Vista I have the entire state of Arizona (Roads and
>Rec), plus every county that I-10 goes through in New Mexico and Texas
>as far as Dallas. And it still says I'm only using 13% of available
>memory. Depending on how many different places you're traveling, you may
>not have to reload your maps that often.
>Steve
>Team Tierra Buena

Yea, Mapsource Roads and Rec has alot less detail than the topo and you can
store alot more maps in your Vista then Topo. So, something to consider.
Roads and Rec has some decent detail and shows a good deal of roads,
however, if you are going way off road, you will want topo for the terrain
detail.

As far as the downloading of maps... each time you download a new mapset,
you loose the old one. So, if you have a mapset of the entire state of
Arizona downloaded into your Vista and you want to, say, add the SW corner
of New Mexico (or wherever), you will loose the Arizona mapset. To add that
SW corner of New Mexico, you have to create a new mapset that will cover the
entire state of AZ and that one SW corner of NM map.

So, when you had Mesa West in there and you went to add Phoenix South, you
lost Mesa West. What you should have done with loaded Mesa West with Phoenix
South.

On another note, if you want to return to the basemap and drop all your
mapsets... you just do a map download to your GPS with a blank mapset (no
maps) and it will delete all the maps in your GPS and put it back to the
original basemaps.

On yet another note.... I got the new Garmin 60C... it does use a USB and it
does download maps MUCH faster than the old serial port connection.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!