[Az-Geocaching] Geocaching Makes the News

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:41:34 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3FEB0.99E00340

I've read some strange encounters and adventures in the forums from cache=
rs, but this one has to rank up there as one of the eeriest.  A find like=
 this was bound to happen - and as much venturing about as geocachers do,=
 I'm sure, there will be other odd discoveries yet to come.

Rand =20
----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Heitowit
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 9:59 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Geocaching Makes the News

Check out this link.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3D72844738-37da-41=
9d-9281-ecef2643e236

Team Tierra Buena wrote:

>USC-Aiken students discover body =20
>Web posted Saturday, February 28, 2004 at 10:59 p.m.
>By Peter G. Gilchrist | South Carolina Bureau =20
>AIKEN - Two USC-Aiken students walked into Hitchcock Woods early
>Saturday morning on a high-tech treasure hunt and stumbled into a real
>mystery. =20
>Tim Meesseman and Carl Williams, both 20, were using a global
>positioning system to find hidden items in an adventure game known as
>geocaching. =20
>Instead they found the remains of a skeleton. =20
>"At first I saw a skull and then I looked and saw a few decomposing
>bones next to it," Mr. Meesseman said. "We couldn't believe it." =20
>The two were searching near Dribble Road, using the GPS to find the
>longitude and latitude of the hidden cache. The coordinates are found on
>a Web site, www.geocaching.com, and 28 caches are hidden in the
>Aiken-Augusta area. =20
>
>"After I saw the bones, we saw a pair of Nike tennis shoes about five
>feet from the skull," Mr. Meesseman said. "It looked like they were from
>the 1980's or something. It had definitely been there a while." =20
>Lt. Michael Frank, spokesman for the Aiken County Sheriff's Office, said
>it is unclear how long the remains had been in the woods, but said an
>autopsy and a forensic reconstruction will be done to try to identity
>the person. =20
>"Right now we don't know much. There wasn't enough information at the
>scene to determine if foul play was involved," he said. "It could be
>weeks before we know more." =20
>Patrick King, of Aiken, a regular on the geocache circuit, said he'd
>heard of unusual finds during hunts, but nothing like this. =20
>"I've heard of people finding strange things like underwear, but I don't
>think I've ever heard of anyone finding a body." =20
>--From the Saturday, February 28, 2004 online edition of the Augusta
>(GA) Chronicle

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3FEB0.99E00340

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I've read some=
 strange encounters and adventures in the forums from cachers, but this o=
ne has to rank up there as one of the eeriest.&nbsp; A <EM>find</EM> like=
 this was bound to happen -&nbsp;and as much venturing&nbsp;about as&nbsp=
;geocachers do, I'm sure, there will be other odd discoveries yet to come=
</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Rand&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADD=
ING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000=
 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><STRONG>-=
---- Original Message -----</STRONG></DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e=
4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial; COLOR: black"><STRONG>From: Mark Heitowit</STRONG>=
</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, February 29, =
2004 9:59 AM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> listserv@az=
geocaching.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: =
[Az-Geocaching] Geocaching Makes the News</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><STRONG>=
<U>Check out this link.<BR></U></STRONG><BR>http://www.geocaching.com/see=
k/cache_details.aspx?guid=3D72844738-37da-419d-9281-ecef2643e236<BR><BR><=
STRONG>Team Tierra Buena wrote:<BR></STRONG><BR>&gt;<U>USC-Aiken students=
 discover body <BR></U>&gt;Web posted Saturday, February 28, 2004 at 10:5=
9 p.m.<BR>&gt;By Peter G. Gilchrist | South Carolina Bureau <BR>&gt;AIKEN=
 - Two USC-Aiken students walked into Hitchcock Woods early<BR>&gt;Saturd=
ay morning on a high-tech treasure hunt and stumbled into a real<BR>&gt;m=
ystery. <BR>&gt;Tim Meesseman and Carl Williams, both 20, were using a gl=
obal<BR>&gt;positioning system to find hidden items in an adventure game =
known as<BR>&gt;geocaching. <BR>&gt;Instead they found the remains of a s=
keleton. <BR>&gt;"At first I saw a skull and then I looked and saw a few =
decomposing<BR>&gt;bones next to it," Mr. Meesseman said. "We couldn't be=
lieve it." <BR>&gt;The two were searching near Dribble Road, using the GP=
S to find the<BR>&gt;longitude and latitude of the hidden cache. The coor=
dinates are found on<BR>&gt;a Web site, www.geocaching.com, and 28 caches=
 are hidden in the<BR>&gt;Aiken-Augusta area. <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;"After I sa=
w the bones, we saw a pair of Nike tennis shoes about five<BR>&gt;feet fr=
om the skull," Mr. Meesseman said. "It looked like they were from<BR>&gt;=
the 1980's or something. It had definitely been there a while." <BR>&gt;L=
t. Michael Frank, spokesman for the Aiken County Sheriff's Office, said<B=
R>&gt;it is unclear how long the remains had been in the woods, but said =
an<BR>&gt;autopsy and a forensic reconstruction will be done to try to id=
entity<BR>&gt;the person. <BR>&gt;"Right now we don't know much. There wa=
sn't enough information at the<BR>&gt;scene to determine if foul play was=
 involved," he said. "It could be<BR>&gt;weeks before we know more." <BR>=
&gt;Patrick King, of Aiken, a regular on the geocache circuit, said he'd<=
BR>&gt;heard of unusual finds during hunts, but nothing like this. <BR>&g=
t;"I've heard of people finding strange things like underwear, but I don'=
t<BR>&gt;think I've ever heard of anyone finding a body." <BR>&gt;--From =
the Saturday, February 28, 2004 online edition of the Augusta<BR>&gt;(GA)=
 Chronicle<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3FEB0.99E00340--