[Az-Geocaching] Yahoo! News Story - Bush Prepares for PossibleGPS Shutdown

Team Tierra Buena teamtierrabuena at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 16 22:06:05 MST 2004

Ken, thanks for posting that.

> I don't see citizens band/HAM radios being shutdown in the form of
> outlawing them.

The Amateur Radio frequencies were turned over to military operations
for about 4 years during World War II, so there is certainly precedent
for it. If there's any threat to Amateur use of those frequencies, it
isn't currently significant enough to worry the American Radio Relay
League, the largest Amateur Radio organization in the US. I have yet to
see as much as a sentence on the subject in any of their print or online
publications that I read. They're much more concerned about broadband
over power line (BPL) interference in places like Cottonwood
(http://www.arrl.org).

Trying to take back Citizens Band frequencies would be akin to walking
out in the middle of I-10, holding up your hand, and expecting the
traffic to stop. It might, but you won't live long enough to see it
happen.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena