[Az-Geocaching] If It's Not a Find, What Is It Then?

SSpackeen at aol.com SSpackeen at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 16:34:00 MST 2004

I'm new to this (chatty) group, having only found it a couple of weeks ago,
and this ethical question is amusing.

DNF's should be left intact.  Subsequent successes should be logged  but
previous DNFs should remain.

I log all DNFs as they occur.  If I find the right spot but encounter  a
specific problem (lost or destroyed cache, no log book, missing identifiers,
etc.) that prevents me from claiming a find, I will just post a note in this  case
wait for a response.

Several weeks ago I found a spot and I found the piece of wood that was
supposed to direct me to the second stage.  The writing on the wood was
washed-out, so this was not really a DNF.  I posted a note and the owner  has not
responded, so I haven't returned either.

In a message dated 12/9/2004 3:13:49 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
scott at myblueheaven.com writes:

At 06:09  AM 12/8/2004, you wrote:
>This is my log from "AurorArborealis", which  you just finished.  It
>started out as a DNF and became a found  log, while still retaining the
>history of the cache.
>
>I  agree with your point of view about not erasing logs 100%  I just handle
>it a little differently, and if a cache owner wanted me to have my  find
>and my DNF on his page, I'd cheerfully comply.

I  think you handled that just fine.  What I have seen a lot of people do is
completely wipe out their DNF or Note log and replace it with the find one
once they did find it.  I think that both logs should stay in place.

To edit your setting, subscribe or  unsubscribe  visit:

Arizona's  Geocaching Resource