[Az-Geocaching] (Self-imposed) Limited lifetime caches

Scott Sparks listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:50:32 -0700

I'd like to echo what Team Sand Dollar wrote about this and add the
following:
 A good cache ought to stay active as long as it remains active.  In
other words, if people are still searching for it, leave it out there.
 If the searches are few and far between, or if maintenance on the cache
isn't worth the effort, then by all means archive it.  As for "keeping
it fresh", I think about all the newcomers to geocaching.  All the
caches are "fresh" to them.  Just because all the current regulars have
hit a cache, doesn't mean there won't be others in the future who will
be surprised or fooled by that clever hide and enjoy it just as much.  I
do agree that some caches ought to be archived--  I saw a number of them
this weekend.  They had an inch or more of water in them and they were
so overgrown with mold and mildew inside that I couldn't even recognize
the contents.  The log books were mush.   They obviously are not  being
maintained and they have had few hits in the past months. But I
digress....   I've been caching for just under a year and I hate to
think how many cool caches I would have missed if they had been archived
after only 6 months of activity.

-- Sprocket