[Az-Geocaching] Solar Flare

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:34:36 -0700 (MST)

In case anybody is interested, we do have a very large solar flare
heading straight for us. It's the third largest solar flare on record,
and erupted on Tuesday, and is expected to "arrive" at Earth mid-day
Wednesday (tomorrow).

These severe flares have the ability to disrupt satellite radio
communications and Earth based electrical systems. (Sounds like the
GPS may be off that day if you try to geocache....)

And I quote: "It's headed straight for us like a freight train." says
John Kohl, a Harvard-Smithsonian Center of Astrophysics scientist.

Now I am just your average joe-blow citizen when it comes to really
technical scientific things, but to have that guy, who should really
know LOTS about it, say it THAT WAY....I don't know....makes me
nervous! Anybody else catch that?

check out www.spaceweather.com and put on the OPAQUE sunscreen!!

Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott