[Az-Geocaching] Virtually Confounded

Joe Brekke listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:24:14 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0150_01C39BD5.36E93BA0

Steve,

If you remember we correctly gave the answer to #5 but blew an earlier =
question...to bad I never learned to count...or write things down =
correctly.  (more probably I was distracted in what I was writing down =
as I was trying to pull my 2 y.o. out of the nearby water elements). =20

Although I did say that I thought I counted the "correct" answer but I =
wrote down ____ I still got it wrong.  I could have easily corrected it =
since I knew intuitively what was the correct answer.  Maybe the =
difference is that I let you know that if you deemed the answer to be =
incorrect that I would delete the log myself and go get it some other =
time.  You told me that you knew that I visited the area, especially =
since I got #5 right and that it would be ok.

In the end it is your cache, and you can enforce or relax the "rules" =
for it any way you would like.  For me personally I wouldn't log a cache =
as a find if either didn't look for or just didn't find the answer for =
something which is what you describe is happening. =20

For me personally, I don't really prescribe to the whole deleting finds =
issue.  One reason is that you are really not going to change the =
outlook of a person that logs a bogus find.  An example:  At the very =
beginning of my caching, I hid a cache that was a 4 part cache.  When I =
wrote down the numbers for the coordinates, I transposed one of them =
(really dyslexic person here).  It was reported to me.  At the time, I =
didn't know you could temporarily disable a cache, and trying to do the =
right thing (because I thought people would go out there and waste their =
time looking for it) I temporarily posted the coordinates for each of =
the stages (including the final cache coordinates) until I could get out =
there and straighten it out.  Now I gave those coordinates thinking that =
anyone finding the cache would do what I would have done, which was find =
each of the stages before going on to the next.  Well, it turns out that =
isn't what happened.  The team that found it just went to the final =
cache location.  Now let me get to the point.  I got uppity and anal, =
and threatened to delete their find.  (What a jerk).  I was WRONG.  It's =
just a GAME.  I GAVE them the coordinates.  I learned a valuable lesson =
at that time.

>From that point on I have always tried to avoid playing CACHE COP and =
take people a face value.  If they forget or decide not to sign a log =
book ok that's their choice or mistake...everyone makes them.  If they =
make a bogus "find", or lie, or cheat, in the end, it really doesn't =
hurt me, and my deleting their log is not going to change their =
character.  In fact, Steve, I think you and I and TM & DV have learned =
that you can't change the outlook of people either, and you end up with =
the Tierra Blunder Sissy Cache...although I must say it is always nice =
to have something named after you...:) =20

I can say that I have retrieved logs from some of our caches, and gone =
back and verified on line logs to them.  I have found some =
discrepencies...in fact on a couple of occasions the logs that were =
missing are from teams who are currently in the top 10 of the AZ stat =
page.  I have NO DOUBT that these individual teams visited the cache, =
however there is not an entry in the log to prove it.  Whatever the =
reason they did not log them.  Did I delete them?  No.

So Steve it's your choice.  In the end ask yourself if you gain anything =
by deleting an on line find.  This cache is a great one and is one that =
I would hate to see go by the new rules.  The true cachers will not log =
the find if they have not found the answer you are seeking.  The ones =
who log the finds without the correct information are the ones that are =
losing...they don't share in the satisfaction of the true find which is =
the spirit in which it was inteded to be found.  If someone is satisfied =
with making an incomplete find, you are never going to change their =
outlook.

Joe
TeamBlunder

----- Original Message -----=20