[Az-Geocaching] Caches on private property

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:59:17 -0700

The recent posts about caches on BLM land got me thinking about cache
placement.

I have done several urban caches lately that are on private property. I
wonder how many of these were actually placed with permissions obtained by
the cache owner? Even though a cache isn't placed inside a property fence
line that has signs that say 'private property', doesnt mean the land in
which the cache was placed isn't private property. A parking lot of any
store/mall/shopping center is private property. Most any of these locations
there are signs placed that say "private property, no loitering, etc, etc,
etc". These signs usually read in a sense that if you arent there to browse
or shop in the store(s), then you are loitering or tresspassing, etc. I have
also seen caches in neighborhood parks lately that have signs that say
private property and are for the use of the homeowners in that area only. I
always worry about the consequences I may face when I am urban caching these
days as many caches I have done in the city are placed in questionable areas
and I can't be sure that the owner had permission and the landowner(s) are
aware a cache is there. Obviously, if I am being questioned by security, I
can only assume the landowner is not aware that a cache was placed on the
property. If permission was obtained, I beleive a cache owner should state
this in the cache description. This way, I can show the printout (or PDA
copy) of the cache page to a security guard, landowner, police officer,
homeowners association, etc to prove my being there is ok and I am not
tresspassing because permission was given.

Again, one of the primary rules of placing a cache is getting permission
first. This is what will keep our hobby in a positive light to 'outsiders'
not familiar with geocaching. In the past year, I have nearly had my truck
towed, been approached by police and even a police detective, and approached
by security on many occasions and questioned about what I was doing while
urban caching. It really gets old after awhile. I have no problem showing
them the actual cache container if that will clear my good name (however
good or bad it may be! :)). I shouldn't have to feel like a criminal when I
am just trying to enjoy a hobby. (fortunately, there are lots and lots of
fun wilderness type caches around the state that keep geocaching fun for
me). Obviously, I enjoy geocaching the way it began, as a hobby to get me
out into the great outdoors (as in the wilderness, forest, desert, etc).
It's not that I don't mind being able to do some geocaching so close to home
in an urban setting, it can be fun. But, I would really like to be able to
know I am doing so legally.

Team Ropingthewind

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa