[Az-Geocaching] Utah USFS Wilderness Areas appear to have geocaches

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:45:54 -0700

>From: Ken Akerman <ken@highpointer.com>
>To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Utah USFS Wilderness Areas appear to have
>geocaches
>Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:16:21 -0700 (PDT)
>
>I have found geocaches in USFS Wilderness Areas in Utah.  It appears to me
>that there are fewer restrictions on cache placements in Utah than there is
>in Arizona.  For example, there is this geocache on the summit of Kings
>Peak, the highest point of Utah located in the Uintah Mountains Wilderness.
>  I found this cache on June 30, 2003.
>
>There is a newer cache atop Gilbert Peak, the second highest point of Utah,
>established Aug. 12, 2003.  This peak is also in the Uintah Mountains
>Wilderness.
>
>It appears to me that more caches like these should be encouraged, like it
>appears to me to be the case in Utah, than prohibited or restricted, as it
>appears to be the case in Arizona.
>
>Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)

I agree with Ken. It certainly wouldn't be any fun (not to me anyways) to
hike all the way to the top of some really high peak just to do a virtual
cache. Part of the excitement to finding a cache in a wilderness type
setting is actually having something to find and a logbook to sign. The
highest peak in Arizona is Humphrey's Peak north of Flagstaff. There is a
geocache on top of it. But, I think it is a virtual (not sure though). I
have always wanted to hike to the top of Humphrey's Peak. it sure would be
much more rewarding if there was actually a 'geocache' to find while up
there.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.