[Az-Geocaching] Utah USFS Wilderness Areas appear to have geocaches

Rob Brinkerhoff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:45:53 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C391B1.D93E8D20

Because Utah has caches in a WA does not imply that they are
less strict and that Arizona is more restrictive. I know of
several caches in AZ WAs, in particular look at this one
GC3601. I know that caches are banned in Wasatch WAs, ie.,
Lone Peak and Twin Peaks WA, to name a few. It simply
implies that the cache approver approved the cache, whether
they new it is okay or not.

>It appears to me that more caches like these should be
encouraged

Yes, I agree. What I wanted to point out, in a previous
thread, that there is not a global policy of caches in WAs.
That is why I asked the "philosophical" question of what is
wrong with caches in WAs? I was hoping to get a good
discussion going. Maybe if us geocachers can get a common
stance on if we believe it is okay or not to have caches in
these areas we could possibly prevent a global policy
against it.

I feel that it is okay for a cache to be place in a WA if it
does not negatively impact environment or ecosystem in the
WA. This should also be true of most any cache placed in the
wild be it BLM or state trust land or anything else. What is
different about placing a cache on a remote chunk of BLM
land? If one feels that a cache not be placed on WA land,
then should caches not be placed in pristine BLM land or in
the wild, in general?

-Rob (Wily Javelina)