[Az-Geocaching] Caches in Wilderness Areas

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:00:13 -0700

--=====================_152921719==.ALT

At 03:21 PM 10/12/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>I know that there are about 89 Wilderness areas in Arizona. I have never
>heard of a No Caches in Wilderness Areas policy, across the board.
>Clearly, wilderness areas in the Coronado NF are of limits, and the Pusch
>Ridge WA is of limits. What about the others? And what is wrong with a
>well placed cache in a WA? I guess a cow, while out grazing, could
>accidentally trip over it or eat it. I think that the best thing to do is
>contact each WA individually and see what the policy is.

I have a former high placed official with the Coronado NF on audio tape
telling me that the main thing that they use wilderness areas in the
Coronado for is to restrict access to an area and that it really has
nothing to do with them wanting to preserve a specific place because of
what is there.  He said that at certain meetings if they are having issues
with uses in certain places they simply had a policy of naming it a WA.  I
don't know if they still do that, but some of the WAs in the Coronado are
very questionable.

Scott

scott@myblueheaven.com
www.myblueheaven.com

--=====================_152921719==.ALT

At 03:21 PM 10/12/2003 -0700, you wrote:<br><br>
areas in Arizona. I have never heard of a No Caches in Wilderness Areas
policy, across the board. Clearly, wilderness areas in the Coronado NF
are of limits, and the Pusch Ridge WA is of limits. What about the
others? And what is wrong with a well placed cache in a WA? I guess a
cow, while out grazing, could accidentally trip over it or eat it. I
think that the best thing to do is contact each WA individually and see
what the policy is.</font><br>
I have a former high placed official with the Coronado NF on audio tape
telling me that the main thing that they use wilderness areas in the
Coronado for is to restrict access to an area and that it really has
nothing to do with them wanting to preserve a specific place because of
what is there.&nbsp; He said that at certain meetings if they are having
issues with uses in certain places they simply had a policy of naming it
a WA.&nbsp; I don't know if they still do that, but some of the WAs in
the Coronado are very questionable.<br><br>