[Az-Geocaching] "NEED"? No way.

shan in az listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:31:03 -0700 (PDT)

FriarEd:

> Are you saying that there are enough geocaches out
> there now that we don't NEED to place anymore?

That's precisely what I'm saying.  There are hundreds
of caches in AZ alone; until or unless you've been to
every one of them, where is the NEED for any new ones?

> If so, the game will die an early death.

Bah.  You know what really will cause the game to die
an early death?  Run-amok cache placement such that
local and state authorities say "that's IT, we've had
enough of this organized littering on our lands!"  And
anyway, the game isn't going to "die an early death"
(oh, the drama...)

> The game is about placing and finding caches.

Thanks for clearing that up.

> Once you've found all of
> the ones in your local area, you have to expand your
> area,

No kidding.  That's what I'm saying.  There are plenty
of caches out there, although they might not be as
close to you as you'd prefer.  So what?  Gas up and
head out, what's so hard about that?  What?- you don't
like to travel?  Geocaching might not be the thing for
you, then.

Here's a thought: can you give me the coordinates of a
spot that, in your opinion absolutely *needs* a
geocache?    I mean really *NEEDS* one, not just
somewhere that you thought would be nice to have one,
somewhere that NEEEEDs one.  I wonder: what are your
criteria for determining that a place NEEDS a
geocache?  What is it about a particular spot that
renders it incomplete but for the presence of a scrap
of paper in an Altoids tin or a tupperware box filled
with dime-store detritus?  Mark well that I'm not
declaring the whole practice of geocaching
inappropriate (for I have set out caches myself!), but
I am saying that caches are ultracopious here and
elsewhere, and no more are, in a word, NEEDED.