[Az-Geocaching] Defense of more geocaches in the backcountry

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:12:10 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C388DE.680BB1E0

Ken,

Drop me an e-mail when you get a chance.  I have an idea for a cache =
that I'm waiting for the right time to place, which will probably =
involved a hike of approx. 5 miles in just to place, but might be =
shorter depending on what topo maps say.  If you're up for a partial =
day-hike, with some more caching in the area, let me know and we can =
plan for a day.

Brian
Team A.I.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ken Akerman=20
  To: Ken Akerman=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 12:07 PM
  Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Defense of more geocaches in the backcountry

        friared1@yahoo.com wrote:

        This is uncalled for. It's just as bad as getting allhot and =
bothered about saying 'most' geocachers feel this way or that.

        Are you saying that there are enough geocaches out there now =
that we don't NEED to place anymore? If so, the game will die an early =
death. The game is about placing and finding caches. Once you've found =
all of the ones in your local area, you have to expand your area, or =
more caches NEED to be placed.=20

        I agree with the above comments.  I enjoy outdoor activities =
such as hiking and mountaineering, and exploring backcountry areas such =
as mountains, forests, and deserts either on foot, mountain bike, or in =
my SUV.  That's one of the reasons why I started doing geocaching - it =
provides me with a great way to organize my outdoor recreational and =
travel activities throughout Arizona and other places, and to travel to =
and explore many scenic and beautiful places that I otherwise wouldn't =
have any other reason to visit.

        I seek all types of caches - urban, rural, puzzle, micro, =
backcountry, virtual, locationless, etc. - and believe that all versions =
of geocaching should continue to grow and thrive.   Diversified =
geocaching attracts more adherents to the sport and improves its =
long-term success.  However, my favorite geocaches are in the scenic =
rural and backcountry areas that require some planning and effort =
(either mechanical and/or physical) to reach, such as the caches in the =
deserts and mountains in the vicinity of small cities like Wickenburg, =
Prescott, Payson, Sedona, and Flagstaff, placed by active geocache =
hiders like Lincoln, Trisha (Lightning) and Dan (Vstar), puz-zel, and =
PANDA77.

        This is where I believe the heart of geocaching should be.  =
Consider an analogy in mountaineering.  While basic mountaineering =
skills begin with simple hiking and cover walk-ups of small mountains =
like Squaw Peak and Camelback, the true heart of mountaineering includes =
all of the technical skills, backcountry experience, and memorable =
ascents of the challenging routes and the major mountain peaks of the =
world.  Relatively few of us will ever ascend a world-class mountain =
like Denali or Everest, and many of us are not even interested in =
trying;  however, can't I state that challenging myself to complete an =
ascent of a big mountain like Denali will be more satisfying and more =
memorable to me than a quick and easy ascent of Squaw Peak?

        Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)=20

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C388DE.680BB1E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Drop me an e-mail when you get a =
chance.&nbsp; I=20
have an idea for a cache that I'm waiting for the right time to place, =
which=20
will probably involved a hike of approx. 5 miles in just to place, but =
might be=20
shorter depending on what topo maps say.&nbsp; If you're up for a =
partial=20
day-hike, with some more caching in the area, let me know and we can =
plan for a=20
day.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian<BR>Team A.I.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dken@highpointer.com href=3D"mailto:ken@highpointer.com">Ken =
Akerman</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3Dlistserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:listserv@azgeocaching.com">Ken Akerman</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, October 02, =
2003 12:07=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geocaching] =
Defense of more=20
  geocaches in the backcountry</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>
  <TABLE cellSpacing=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 width=3D"100%" border=3D0 ?>
    <TBODY>
    <TR>
      <TD>
        <DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D1><A =
href=3D"mailto:friared1@yahoo.com"=20
        target=3D_blank>friared1@yahoo.com</A> wrote:</FONT></DIV>
        <DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV><EM>This is uncalled for. It's just as bad as getting =
allhot and=20
        bothered about saying 'most' geocachers feel this way or=20
        that.</EM><EM><BR></DIV></EM>
        <DIV><EM>Are you saying that there are enough geocaches out =
there now=20
        that we don't NEED to place anymore? If so, the game will die an =
early=20
        death. The game is about placing and finding caches. Once you've =
found=20
        all of the ones in your local area, you have to expand your =
area, or=20
        more caches NEED to be placed.</EM> </DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>I agree with the above comments.&nbsp; I enjoy outdoor =
activities=20
        such as hiking and mountaineering, and exploring backcountry =
areas such=20
        as mountains, forests, and deserts either on foot, mountain =
bike, or in=20
        my SUV.&nbsp; That's one of the reasons why I started doing =
geocaching -=20
        it provides me with a great way to organize my outdoor =
recreational and=20
        travel activities throughout Arizona and other places, and to =
travel to=20
        and explore many scenic and beautiful places that I otherwise =
wouldn't=20
        have any other reason to visit.</DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>I&nbsp;seek all types of caches - urban, rural, puzzle, =
micro,=20
        backcountry, virtual, locationless, etc. - and believe that all =
versions=20
        of geocaching should continue to grow and=20
        thrive.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Diversified geocaching attracts more =
adherents=20
        to the sport and improves its long-term success.&nbsp; However, =
my=20
        favorite geocaches are in the scenic rural and backcountry areas =
that=20
        require some planning and effort (either mechanical and/or =
physical) to=20
        reach, such as the caches in the deserts and mountains in the =
vicinity=20
        of small cities like Wickenburg, Prescott, Payson, Sedona, and=20
        Flagstaff, placed by active geocache hiders like Lincoln, Trisha =

        (Lightning) and Dan (Vstar), puz-zel, and PANDA77.</DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV>This is where I believe the heart of geocaching should =
be.&nbsp;=20
        Consider an analogy in mountaineering.&nbsp; While basic =
mountaineering=20
        skills begin with simple hiking and cover walk-ups of small =
mountains=20
        like Squaw Peak and Camelback, the true heart of mountaineering =
includes=20
        all of the technical skills, backcountry experience, and =
memorable=20
        ascents of the challenging routes and the major mountain peaks =
of the=20
        world.&nbsp; Relatively few of us will ever ascend a world-class =

        mountain like Denali or Everest, and many of us are not even =
interested=20
        in trying;&nbsp; however, can't I state that challenging myself =
to=20
        complete an ascent of a big mountain like Denali will be more =
satisfying=20
        and more memorable to me than a quick and easy ascent of Squaw=20
        Peak?</DIV>
        <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
        <DIV><STRONG>Ken Akerman</STRONG> (a.k.a.=20
        =
<STRONG><EM>Highpointer</EM></STRONG>)</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TAB=