[Az-Geocaching] New Leader (again) final version

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:59:48 -0700

Loran Wilcox wrote:

>When I wrote my reply it wasn't to anyone in particular.  It just get
>bothered by the attitude towards the numbers. The numbers mean nothing
>except personal accomplishment. They are up to the individual to use them or
>not however they feel.

With all the stats we provide, I don't think I have ever seen anyone
mention how they are doing when compared to all the other geocachers in
the same time period that they have been caching, which is the most fare
comparison.  There is a lot of talk about catching so and so, but when
you compare the date, there is no real compition with some of the
origional cachers that have a zillion caches to their name... some of
the new people are finding the caches at twice the rate of the origional
cachers.

Also with all the talk about I'm in this for the fun and I don't pay
attention to the numbers there hasn't been a single person offer to race
someone of a set period of time.  All you would need to do is put in the
two or more team and the date span into the team stats page and you
could clearly see who the "winner" was.  As long as all parties are in
agreement that they are in a friendly compition, I really can't see the
harm in it.

Anyway... just a couple of thoughts that I've had over the last couple
of days... and since I never did write that geocaching game interface
that I said I would a year or more ago......

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek