[Az-Geocaching] Museum caches a boon for local museums

Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:24:26 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1989126688-1033140266=:74481

One of the kicks I've been on lately is asking what would the community or local authorities think of these caches.  From their perspective I think these caches also get two big thumbs up.  The Museum staff that I talked to sure didn't mind.

It should be obvious that the museum staff should greatly welcome these museum caches.  They bring more people to the museums, and some geocachers who enjoy the museums tell others about them, leading to more visitors by word-of-mouth.  More visitors to the museums is obviously good to the museums' financial and physical health.  Most of these museums are unknown to people who live in the cities and towns they are located.  When I first moved to the Phoenix area, I didn't know that any of these historical museums existed.  Now one of my hobbies is to search for other similar museums to visit.

Visiting museums is either free or low-cost, and can be done by anyone.  One of the visitors to Tempe Historical Museum reported that he visited with it with his father-in-law, who is 90 years old and was born in Arizona Territory, a few months before Arizona became a state.  Another geocacher reported the satisfaction of seeing his mother's name among the students listed with the graduating class in a past year at Gilbert High School.

Perhaps I'm thinking of adding a twist to my museum caches in the future, perhaps something like identifying a landmark nearby (i.e. one of the statues in the plaza outside Scottsdale Historical Museum), then asking the geocacher to turn in a given direction (i.e. NE, S, 235° magnetic) and walk x paces in that direction and enter the building.

Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)

--0-1989126688-1033140266=:74481

<P><EM>One of the kicks I've been on lately is asking what would the community or local authorities think of these caches.&nbsp; From their perspective I think these caches also get two big thumbs up.&nbsp; The Museum staff that I talked to sure didn't mind.</EM></P>
<P>It should be obvious that the museum staff should greatly welcome these museum caches.&nbsp; They bring more people to the museums, and some geocachers who enjoy the museums tell others about them, leading to more visitors by word-of-mouth.&nbsp; More visitors to the museums is obviously good to the museums' financial and physical health.&nbsp; Most of these museums are unknown to people who live in the cities and towns they are located.&nbsp; When I first moved to the Phoenix area, I didn't know that any of these historical museums existed.&nbsp; Now one of my hobbies is to search for other similar museums to visit.</P>
<P>Visiting museums is either free or low-cost, and can be done by anyone.&nbsp; One of the visitors to Tempe Historical Museum reported that he visited with it with his father-in-law, who is 90 years old and was born in Arizona Territory, a few months before Arizona became a state.&nbsp; Another geocacher reported the satisfaction of seeing his mother's name among the students listed&nbsp;with the graduating class in a past year&nbsp;at Gilbert High School.</P>
<P>Perhaps I'm thinking of adding a twist to my museum caches in the future, perhaps something like identifying a landmark nearby (i.e. one of the statues in the plaza outside Scottsdale Historical Museum), then asking the geocacher to turn in a given direction (i.e. NE, S, 235<FONT size=3><STRONG>° </STRONG></FONT><FONT size=2>magnetic) and walk <EM><STRONG>x</STRONG></EM> paces in that direction and enter the building.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=2>Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)<BR></P></FONT>
--0-1989126688-1033140266=:74481--