[Az-Geocaching] "Survival" Gear....

Joanna Strohn listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:24:46 -0700

Trisha reminds me of what was probably the #1 best thing I learned in my CCW
course. First, grab the cellphone and dial 911. Assuming they answer (ugh)
they will then have a complete tape of your telephone call. Anyone who has
taken the CCW course (highly recommended for the training) will know exactly
what to say to make sure all the self-defense requirements are followed.
Same goes when hiking ... take the callphone!

I had a situation a couple months ago when there was a knock at the door
late at night. No one around here goes uses front doors. I never open mine
without positively knowing who it is. This person sounded fishy (car
problem) so I called 911. Turned out there was a car problem but the police
arrived promptly and called me back to let me know everything was OK. Sad
... pre 9/11 I would wilingly have opened the door and offered to help.

My two dogs (a Miniature Pinscher and a Bulldog) are true softies. My
Bulldog is trained for pet therapy and we visit hospitals, nursing homes,
etc. My MinPin is a hyperdog. For those who aren't aware, MinPins were
developed BEFORE Dobermans. Dr. Doberman liked the dog's qualities but
wanted one a bit bigger than 12" and 10 pounds. (Mine is oversize at 14" and
about 18 pounds ... if you see us on a cache hunt his name is Sargeant).
These are dogs who =sleep= in a yellow state! I call him my "alarm dog" as
he has his protective zone and barks like crazy if anyone intrudes. The two
of them SOUND ferocious!

I had a major water leak last week (reason I haven't been out looking for
caches). When the insurance adjuster was here she was quite approving of the
"Bulldog Security Patrol" and "Keep Gate Closed at ALL Times--DO NOT LET
DOGS OUT" signs. Commented anyone wishing to do harm would likely take one
look and go elsewhere. If so, goal accomplished ... I don't want any
confrontations with bad folks, but I DO want to be prepared if someone
brings trouble to me.

  -- Joanna (WingRider)