[Az-Geocaching] "Survival" Gear....

Wed, 04 Sep 2002 22:25:09 -0700 (PDT)

OK, please indulge the ramble, it has some good points, I think....

I think dogs are wonderful, too, but people can mess with dogs, esp if
they are planning to get to you.

When I lived in Kingman, my ex and I had a retail gun business at our
house (converted garage.) All legal, etc. (Taught the CCW classes) One
day we noticed someone had tried to pry the deadbolt on the door.
About a week later, our gorgeous, well-trained and friendly/
protective Rottweiller, who "owned" the house and back yard, fell sick
and died from anti-freeze poinsoning. We are sure the two are
connected....take out the dog so they could gain entrance from a less
secure window in back. But, who is STUPID enough to try a burglary at
a gun shop? (unless it would have been when we were not there, hence
take out the dog.) We really loved that dog, we were heartbroken. We
then got another Rottie and 2 Great Danes. And kept our guns. REALLY
stupid to try and breakin when we are home!!

So, I am Pro-Dog and Pro-Defensive/Sportsman Gun Ownership, as long as
the person is properly trained. Keep in mind that many many more
people are killed each year by people "mis-using" vehicles than by
people "mis-using" guns. Ban vehicles? Nah.....

In Feb of 2001, I was alone at home at night when someone tried to
break into my backdoor. My dog growled (she is old, and a pussy cat,
even if black and 100#) to alert me. She wouldn't know how to attack a
person. I called 911, the police, who didn't respond. As I took a
defensive position by my kitchen counter, the creep popped my back
door open and entered. I shouted....GET OUT, I HAVE A GUN! and he
left. I had to call the police back 30 minutes later (why so long? I
was frozen in shock, thinking he was coming back. Police said they
were "busy"). uh huh. Don't EVER count on the cops being there when
you really need them. If I hadn't had a gun to defend myself, and
confidently knew how to safely use it, I would have been assaulted,
raped or worse.
So, yes, I carry a concealed weapon for my protection. Too many
crazies and criminals out there.

Trisha
Prescott

On Wed, 04 September 2002, Scott Wood wrote:

> At 08:54 PM 9/4/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >Don't get me wrong...I support a persons right to own and carry
> >firearm(I don't trust myself with a gun).  I just personally
prefer
> the
> >protection of double GSD (AKA a 75 and  an 85 lb(and growing)
german