[Az-Geocaching] Forest Fire and Ammo Can Concern

Andrew Ayre listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 13:28:46 -0700

Hi Fred,

Thanks for that info.

I hope things get better for you, but please don't try to find the cache if
the only reason is to rescue it - its contents are insignificant compared to
the lives of firefighters and your life and its not worth the risk just for
the contents or can. If it gets burned up it gets burned up, if it survives
it survives - as long as it doesn't injure someone. I'll try and check on it
when the area is opened to the public again.

Thanks to everyone else who replied.

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of Fred
Coe
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 1:06 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com; az-geocaching@listserv.azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Forest Fire and Ammo Can Concern

Andrew and the group,

I wouldn't worry about it for several reasons:

1)  I doubt the ammo can would explode (unless there is something other than
the usual cache items inside).  The first thing to melt would be the gasket,
then any built up overpressure from the heat would vent.  Depending on the
proximity of heavier fuels than the pine needles you describe, all that
might be left would be a 'slab of slag'.

2) Even if the can or something in it were to explode a fire fighter would
have to be close enough to be affected.  More pertainet is, "How close is
the cache to the fireline?"  Since I maybe getting a GIS file on some of
that stuff pretty soon, I'll check.

3) All sorts of things explode in a wildfire.  Aerisol cans are perhaps the
biggest danger (yea, you find them, like empty beer cans almost everywhere,
but rocks (yes, rocks!), pine cones, and even whole trees can explode in
intense fire activity.  Tires still mounted on rims and holding air are very
explosive, and commonly found abandoned in backcountry areas.  All wildland
firefighters are aware of these hazards.  If your cache is seen by
firefighters, it would probably be given a pretty wide berth, just to be on
the safe side.

4) Inspite of what I've just said, any item that may explode in a wildfire
is still pretty low on the things to watch out for.  Most injuries come from
walking on uneven ground.  Most serious injuries come from rolling/falling
objects (i.e. boulders and trees).  While not classified as an injury, heat
stress is by far the most common ailment.

So far, it hasn't been a good fire for me.  I put up one of the national
radio cache (not to be confused with a geocache <grin>) repeaters in a 'safe
area' and it is now carbonized.  One of my CNF repeater sites is mildly
threatened - Mt. Bigelow, but since it is surrounded by five TV towers and
transmitters I suspect it will be protected. The Mule Mtn repeater decided
to pick yesterday to act up. And if that weren't enough I got a flat in my
service truck, and while changing the tire got a severe sprain of my right
wrist/thumb.  Oh, well, at least my wife got a job...

If/When I'm sent back to fire camp/Mt. Lemmon/fire line, I'll try to find
your cache.

>From my airconditioned shop at TIA,

--Fred
Team Boulder Creek