[Az-Geocaching] Forest Fire and Ammo Can Concern

Ed Philpott listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 10:38:33 -0700

I doubt that it would explode, the rubber seal around the lid would melt
first, which would allow the pressure inside to escape, and if the fire was
hot enough the case would just melt down to a pile of metal.

Ed Philpott
Trail Gypsy

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of
Andrew Ayre
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 8:04 AM
To: az-geocaching@listserv.azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Forest Fire and Ammo Can Concern

Hi,

Our recently placed Hollywood Arizona cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22537

appears to be in the Bullock fire's path. I am getting concerned what the
fire will do to the ammo can. I would hate for it to explode and injure a
firefighter. I did a search on geocaching.com about this and noone else
appears to have ever mentioned such a concern. We did not place anything in
the cache that explodes, and from reading the logs of two people who have
visited it, neither did they. It is buried under a pile of rocks in an area
with not much vegetation, i.e. rocks and I think fallen pine needles.
Am I overreacting? Everyone else I ask says I am.

Groover