[Az-Geocaching] Cache bandits

Mike Schwarz listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 20:32:06

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Ken Henson wrote:

>> Today (Thursday, May 23) I visited my cache, Sycamore View.  On the
>> cache page there is only one entry.  The log book has about six
>> entries.  The last entry, May 18, made by “Space Men” stated that he /
>> they took the cache box.  It was an ammo can.  The rest of the cache box
>> contents were left at the site.  The log book and the contents of the
>> cache had been placed in a Ziplock bag that was in the cache box along.
>> Someone had added their trash to the bag with the log book.  The log
>> read that this site should not be listed on the web.  Only special
>> people should be allowed to visit this special sacred spot.
>>
>> Maybe, just maybe, I would get a different group of visitors at my
>> caches if I made them “Member  Only” caches?

Ken, sorry to hear about that.  You've made us aware of the fact
that people may actually be using the site to plot evil acts of
theft or vandalism.  I would urge people to never leave an item worth
more than a couple dollars in a cache.

The ammo boxes definitely make the best containers, as far as
protecting the cache's contents, but now, sadly, we've seen that
they may become a target for thieves.

I don't think too many people would want to take the container for
"Sparky's Stash" on the ASU campus.  Maybe we should make all of
our containers look like that.   :)

Mike
"Malthusian"