[Az-Geocaching] How about some URBAN caches up north?

Mike Schwarz listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 12:18:41

At 18:26:55 -0700 5/23/02, Trisha wrote:

>Hmmm....maybe we Prescott cachers should put out a few caches that are
>not on National Forest Land....may not be quite as nice an area as the
>PNF, but...would that help with y'alls' withdrawl symptoms???
>How 'bout it Ken? Should we see what we can do for them?
>Trisha

In the past 24 hours, I checked for Caches in the areas around
Prescott, Flagstaff, Sedona, and Payson.  I did locate ONE "urban"
styled micro-cache in Prescott.  Congrats to Team C.H.U.M.P. for
placing that!

Otherwise, there was just ONE virtual cache each in Prescott and
Sedona.  There are NO urban caches whatsoever in Flagstaff or
Payson.  In these "severely-restricted" times, we need a lot more
of the urban-styled micro caches in the towns of northern AZ.

I'm talking small containers, like Altoids tins, or similar plastic
or tin boxes, maybe with magnets or velcro glued on.  There are
quite a number of these in city parks in the Phoenix metro area.
Why have so few of these been placed in urban areas up north?

It seems like almost all of the caches around at least these 4
cities, are out in the surrounding woods and mountains somewhere.
WHich means they are almost certainly in a national forest which
is closed to public access now.  The only exceptions would be some
lower elevations around Sedona.

I could hide such a container in Flagstaff or Prescott myself, but
we had a heated discussion on this listserv a week ago, about people
taking responsibility for their own caches.  If I did place such a
container, I would very often not be able to check on it within 24
hours of it being missing or causing a problem.  After the
acrimonious debate we had, I don't think I want to place any more
caches over 25 miles from where I live in Phoenix.  (I have one
cache in California now.)

Could some of the people who LIVE near Prescott, Flagstaff, Payson,
Sedona, etc., place some of these urban micro-caches, especially
during these troubled times?  The national forest closures will
probably extend into early July.  Good places would be city parks,
museum grounds, or the property of any public building.  Private
property should be avoided, unless the property owner condones the
cache (eg, "Go Postal"). (Note: We have had a couple caches on
restaurant properties in Phoenix and Tempe, and those were not
proper placements.)

What does everybody think about this?

Mike