[Az-Geocaching] Re: Re: Why exclude non-smoking day hikers????

Fred Coe listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 11:22:43 -0700

Hmmmm,

Who is going to search the packs?  The Forest Service is way to busy under
these conditions to do it, besides, I don't think it is consititutional.

Will the non-smoking day hikers in areas otherwised closed still need/want
to be evacuated in case of a fire?  Or should they just be left to fend for
themselves?

Most, if not all of the discussion I've seen on this topic (and I'm only
home long enough to grab some clean undies before heading back to the
Bullock Fire) is addressing the issue of ignition.  Having areas closed
makes suppression far easier.  Roads in areas closed are designated as
one-way routes (and the direction of travel changes as various times of the
day) in order to facilitate the rapid response of resources. This activity
is far easier to do in a controlled area.

Casual visitors near the fire (the lookie loos) are as disruptuptive and
dangerous to the fire suppression efforts as other factors (terrain,
weather, fuel type).  I have seen some idiot in their Yugo (or whatever it
was), block a main fire control road and argue with two strike teams of
engines (that's 10 fire engines) about if he had the 'right to be parked in
the middle of the road'.  It took over 45 minutes for law enforcement
officers to get to the scene.  Since I was taking photos of this
demostration of 'common sense', I got to bring them to the case before the
Federal Magistrate.  The guy got a $2000 fine, a suspended prison sentence,
but a condition of probation was that he not set foot on BLM land (I worked
for them then) for five years (how that was to be enforced was beyond me).

Public lands are not Closed just to prevent fires (although it is hoped that
the number of fires will be reduced).  Other factors are considered in
making the decision to close these lands.  As others have said, I don't like
having the public lands closed, but I certainly understand the reasons and
the need.  There are more reasons than just preventing wildland fires.

--Fred
Team Boulder Creek