[Az-Geocaching] Just an observation

C. Sullivan listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 04:45:01 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Ken Henson wrote:

> Today (Thursday, May 23) I visited my cache, Sycamore View.  On the
> cache page there is only one entry.  The log book has about six
> entries.  The last entry, May 18, made by “Space Men” stated that he /
> they took the cache box.  It was an ammo can.  The rest of the cache box
> contents were left at the site.  The log book and the contents of the
> cache had been placed in a Ziplock bag that was in the cache box along.
> Someone had added their trash to the bag with the log book.  The log
> read that this site should not be listed on the web.  Only special
> people should be allowed to visit this special sacred spot.
>
> Maybe, just maybe, I would get a different group of visitors at my
> caches if I made them “Member  Only” caches?

I have observed this pheonomenae at not only Wednesday Equals Geeks (there
are currently two logs on the logsheet that aren't on the website) but at
a few others I've found as well.

I suspect that the vast majority of these come from people who have
randomly "found" the cache without the aid of GPS.  For example, at
Wednesday we had a log from the night manager (who happens to be somebody
known to us) who probably found it when she was out front using the
payphone that it was originally hidden behind.

But a ratio of five to one?  That sounds, at best, a bit odd.  Especially
given what happened to the cache.

-Fedl