[Az-Geocaching] Why exclude non-smoking day hikers????

Wed, 22 May 2002 18:06:06 -0700 (PDT)

I think that one point that has not been brought out is that the
Forest Service simply does not have enough resources/personnel to
staff all the roads and trailheads to check someone's intentions. It
is not fair, but it is reality. I've dealt peripherally with the FS
personnel for over 2 years now up in the Prescott area, and listened
and witnessed their frustrations and concerns. When conditions are
like they are, they simply have to close it off with gates, barricades
and signs, and then patrol randomly inside the closures (and checking
parked cars at trailheads...hint) as best they can. (Then anybody
choosing to ignore the closure and enter runs the risk of getting
caught and paying the heavy fines). This is not ideal, and as I said,
it is not fair at all, but it is the way it currently is.

Two summers ago, the Jeep Posse was called upon to patrol 4 heavy-use
areas in the forest/urban interface on Friday and Saturday evenings,
to look for people illegally using fire. (Campers, kids partying, and
the homeless were the greatest concern.) We were effective, but the
problem is that there are only 3 Law Enforcement Rangers for the
entire Prescott Nat'l Forest. We had the poor "law dog" running back
and forth all night, as we are non-confrontational and could only
report locations of violators, watch them and wait for the Ranger to
show up. It is amazing how many people simply ignored the law and had
fires going, and smoking, too.

Not fair, but something we have to live with and accept for the
greater good of the community, I guess. If the monsoon arrives on
time, we only have about 6 weeks to worry about.

My .02 cents.

On Wed, 22 May 2002, "C. Sullivan" wrote