[Az-Geocaching] Why exclude non-smoking day hikers????

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 11:38:45 -0700

At 10:39 AM 5/21/2002 +0000, you wrote:

>In my opinion, the ban on entry to national forests should only apply
>to people in vehicles, and those intending to stay overnite.  Day hikers
>should still be allowed in, perhaps with their packs being searched,
>and having them "sign in" and "sign out" at the trailhead.  There is no
>threat of forest fires from nonsmoking day hikers, even with the
>tinder-dry conditions we have right now.

Isn't that sort of an elitist attitude about the forest?  What evidence do
you have that people who drive vehicles into the forest are causing
fires?  I can understand the overnight campers are more likely to have a
fire, but I fail to see why simply driving a vehicle makes you undesirable
to be in the forest.  Also, why is it better to be a non-smoking day hiker
instead of a non-smoking vehicle driver?

I don't know if it was intended or not, but it seems like your belief is
that your use of the forest is ok, but others that want to use the forest
in a different way is bad.

Personally I don't want to see any closure of the forest.  I can understand
the reason why they want to do it, but I still don't agree with it.