[Az-Geocaching] Our Saturday geocaching!

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 20:07:19 -0700

What a fun day Saturday was! Enjoyed two of my favorite hobbies- hot air
ballooning and geocaching! Actually, the balloon flight that morning was a
money maker! I happen to make a living with my 'hobby'! :)
My geocaching teammate as well as my ballooning crew chief, Brent, joined me
on this day of caching.

Awoke at 3:30am for a beautiful morning balloon flight. Arrived home and got
all the equiptment put away and around 9:00am or so, we were off on a day of
geocaching!

We had about 5 caches we were planning on doing, but, after doing some quick
internet research, I found out indeed that the Pinal Mnt's area of the Tonto
NF was closed off due to the high fire dangers. We were planning on doing
the cache up there. So, we made a quick change of plans and decided on a
different route which would give us 8 caches to visit!

Off we went! Our first cache of the day was in a place we have visited many
times. The Mineral Mnt Cache near Florence Jct. For those of you who have
not yet been to this cache, if you have a good truck with high clearance (or
a Jeep!) you can continue up the road to the old ghost town of Denoon. Some
may know of an old ghost town in the area called Reymert. Which is the town
the dirt road in is named after. Actually, Reymert really has no remains.
But, down the wash from Reymert is a pretty well preserved ghost town.
Denoon. Several buildings still standing (at least as of a couple of years
ago. I havent been back there since and only went as far as the cache this
time). What a fun cache! Logged in at 10:18am.  Yes, as the previous log
entry had stated(another team logged in just about 2 hours before us!)...
the red flags were up. That means DANGER, LIVE WEAPONS/BOMBINGS TAKING
PLACE! However, the sign did not say 'stay out'. It was just a caution sign,
I guess!. We also saw several ATV riders and such on the roads in there. The
area is used a couple weekends a month for National Guard training and such.
We also heard all the bombs going off! Very cool! We were able to easily
drive within about 400' of the cache location and made the quick trek to the
cache. Found it quickly. Both my teammate and myself just kinda looked at it
at the same time! We pulled the container out and sat on the top of the hill
and watched the live bombings as we were signing the log. We had really high
powered binoculars and were able to watch the bombs going off! However, we
didn't need them to see the action! We could hear a firing and then a small
poof of smoke from a spot in the distant center of the desert valley. Look
to the south a few seconds later and we saw a small fireball followed by a
quick poof of black smoke and followed seconds later by a large dust cloud
from the desert floor! Those are some mighty big bombs! Fortunately, they
were off in the distant. The area where the bombs were landing were probably
5 or 6 miles away or better. We watched several bombs go off and then
'retreated' to safer grounds!

Those safer grounds would be the Drip's Dry Cache near Pinal Creek west of
Miami. This was another really fun cache. Have driven by on Hwy. 60 a
zillion and a half times and on driving by, you can see the old Hwy. 60 from
time to time. This time, we got to drive on it! Followed the old road in to
about 100' of the cache. This was to be our 200th cache find! It was also
not an easy find for us. As I told my teammate, "this cache is gonna mess
with us because it is our 200th!" Sure nuff' it did! We spent probably a
half an hour looking for that thing. Turns out we walked right by it several
times! :) We were bound and determined not to leave until we found it
because if we did, the next one would just mess with us too! So, found this
one and moved on to Globe. 200 cache finds!!!!!!!!! YEHAW!!!!!!!!!

Two caches in Globe. One just SE of town and one just on the edge of town in
a city desert park. Work and Play Cache was first. Followed the dirt road in
only to find a locked gate for the Tonto NF. Obviously locked due to high
fire danger. Fortunately, the cache was only 458 feet past this gate. So, we
made a quick in and out for the cache and moved on! Round Mnt cache is near
Globe. A really nice desert mountain park that Globe has created. A nice
hike to the cache and our 4th find of the day so far and working on our next
100! :)

Next, it was on up to the Sierra Ancha Mnt's area for Workman's Creek cache
and Awsome Canyon Cache. Workman's Creek is a really cool cache location.
Several past entries spoke of getting a bit wet on this one. But, the
waterfall wasnt that wide now. But, still a nice run of water coming down.
We simply walked around it and kept totally dry! It was so pleasant down
there with the sound of the water pounding against the rocks below and the
cool temps in the shaded areas near the falls. Very nice cache. On our way
out, we saw a group of campers with a big ole' campfire burning! What
IDIOTS!. I can call them that, right? What are they thinking? Do they not
have a clue!??!!?? The whole of Tonto NF has obvious fire restrictions and
parts of it are now closed. This area we not, however, there was high fire
danger and no fires allowed. Where are the forest rangers to slap these
dudes huge fines? If cought, they should give them a fine in the amount it
would likely cost to put out forest fire!!!!!! I cant figure out why they
would have a campfire anyways? It was only 6pm out and not even dark yet. It
was also rather warm out. Go figure.

Awsome Canyon Cache was really scenic as well. Nice views from there. I
think we are going to take the hot air balloon for a flight off that mesa
some day and out over the lake. Maybe next Fall! Right now, more caching to
do!

We had done a bit of sightseeing while at some of these previous caches
today and plus the late start due to business in the morning... time wasnt
on our side. But, we werent going to let darkness keep us from the other two
caches we still wanted to get on the way home. We next did Libby's What
Another Dam Cache near Roosevelt Dam. By the time we got there it was 8:00pm
(logged in at 8:09pm) and it was totally dark. Fortunately, we had a good
flashlight and found it no problem and moved on. Actually, the view of the
dam with some lights on was really impressive. I guess that dam is
impressive no matter how you look at it! Alot of concrete.

A nice drive along the Apache trail and we arrived at Apache Lake for the
T697 Apache Dog Cache. It was now nearly 9:30pm when we found a place to
park to start this hike. Found a spot only .19 mile from the cache and
headed off into the darkness. Had to walk along a ridge, down into a wash,
and partially up the other side to a rock ledge where the cache was. Alot of
rock and a lot of places this cache could be. But, we had two flashlights
and one was a really high powered one that really made searching for the
cache pretty easy. Found it quickly. The moonlight also made the hike
possible without flashlights on and we were able to save batteries a bit.
Logged in at 9:45pm. Yehaw! Got all 8 we set out to get! Even if it took us
to 10:00pm at night to do it! Continued on down Apache Trail to Apache
Junction where we stopped by Cobb's Greasy Spoon on Main St in AJ to meet
some friends that hang out there around midnight and spent a bit of time
eatin' and drinkin' (soda that is!). Finally got home around 2am and
finished logging our finds on Geocaching.com at 3:22am (Sunday morning).
What a FUN but LONG 24 hours!

A fun day indeed. Cant wait to get out and do it again!

(which I did today! ;)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Scotts Adventure Flying Web Page
http://www.safwp.bravepages.com
(very soon to include RTW's Geocaching page!)