[Az-Geocaching] Prescott Fire: Caches affected or burned?

Mon, 20 May 2002 09:13:02 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Scott, for the kind words. We do quite a bit of training for
these situations, (for only being volunteers), and are glad to help.
There is alot of satisfaction in community service.

One story that those outside Prescott may or may not have heard is
that the Capt of our SAR Posse was out doing evacuations (in Ponderosa
Park) when the fire advanced on his home in Catherdral Pines. (This
all happened extremely fast) By the time we bugged-out, and completed
that part of the evac, it was too dangerous for anyone to go into his
neighborhood, so he didn't get a chance to evac his own home, altho
his wife checked in with me at the command center so he would know she
was ok. His across the street neighbor, Rich (of "Quartz Mtn Cache"
fame) also could not get in, and did not find his wife until the next
day. Luckliy, both homes were (barely) saved. Those guys are the ones
who really deserve alot of credit.

Also, I am amazed at how the fire-guys manage to do the tough work
they do. As volunteers, we all have a little part in a big network to
get the job done. But those brave guys on the fire-line and in the air
are truly heroes!

OK, hopefully we can go back to recreational caching and "put out" the
fire thread for now, I imagine everyone is getting a bit weary hearing
about it. Thanks for indulging us!
Trisha

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Scott Wood wrote

> At 09:33 PM 5/19/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >As I said, probably my current strong opinion about closing the
> >forests to try and reduce the risk of fire is being "fueled"
> >(sorry...!) by my recent scary experience, plus knowing several
people
> >who came very close to losing their homes. I'll settle down in a
> >couple days!
>
> I certainly understand.  When Ann and I were up on Mt. Lemmon
yesterday to
> do some cache maintenance part of the reason I wanted to go up there
was to
> see what condition everything was in.
>
> I continue to be shocked as to how dry everything is not only there
but
> other places we have been recently.  I can certainly understand the
> restrictions on fires that Coronado has placed, I think you could
even say
> that they have not gone far enough since they are still allowing
cooking on
> cook stoves and propane.  I just feel that we have to be careful
when we
> start asking for complete closures to prevent those few
irresponsible among
> us from doing damage.  It always seems to lead to a slippery slope.
>
> I did want to say thanks for everything that you do for the effort
up in
> your neck of the woods.  Even though I am not in that game any
longer, I
> still follow it closely and most people don't know how much help
that the
> guys out digging fire lines get from volunteers on the big fires.
Most of