[Az-Geocaching] Prescott Fire: Caches affected or burned?

Sun, 19 May 2002 12:56:56 -0700 (PDT)

Scott and all,

I archived "Quartz Mtn" before the fire due to reports of it either
gone or vandalized, I can't remember which (I am still trying to get
my life back in order and my mind is a bit numb after all this
activity for three days :-)

By the way, the actual person who placed the cache, Rich from the
Posse, lives across the street from Christ Fergis, our Jeep Posse
Captain, who was on the Prescott front page today, both of their homes
were saved by the air-attack and fire crews.

My opinion, putting a cache in a fire-proof container is a bit of
overkill....even if it survived the fire, who would want to go
tromping thru the ashes and black sticks to find it? :-)

Trisha "Lightning"
making very slow progress thru my emails and probably saying silly
things!

BTW also, thanks to those who said "thanks"....we (Posse and other
groups) train for this and are glad when we can help. And in my usual
position (radio operator at the Sheriff's mobile command center, for
our portion of the volunteers) it is interesting to hear everything
that is going on. Thru-out the fire, we (two of us) monitored 6
frequencies, (talking mainly on only one, however) with instructions
to notify the Sheriff incident commander if there was any increase in
the fire (important to know re evac'd areas and need to evac more).

On Fri, 17 May 2002, "Scott Nicol" wrote

> >Are there any caches that are known or likely to be consumed by the
fire?

> >Quartz Mountain Cache
> >by Yavapai Co. Jeep Posse~ Rich (#1967)
> >ALERT! The cache no longer exists, whether by act of nature or other
> >circumstance.
> >
> >This cache had been archived before the fire.
> >
> >As reported by Lightning "Yup, Quartz Mtn is not only archived, it
is
> >toast."
>

> So, Quartz Mountain Cache was not archived due to the fire?
>
> I am curious to know: will an ammo box hold up thru a forest fire? I
would
> guess not. But, I don't know! They are military type boxes. I would
guess
> the seals would probably melt. Whether the metal box would hold up
would
> just depend on how hot it gets. Perhaps it would get so hot the
contents
> inside would melt and maybe not the box itself? Also, if the ammo
box was
> under some rocks, it could be possible it might stand a chance of
surviving
> a fire as well. hhmm. Just some wandering thoughts I am having! :)
Kinda
> curious! Perhaps we should test this theory and stick an ammo box in
my
> backyard BBQ! :) LOL (just make sure the very original contents
arent still
> in it, of course!!! LOL )
>
> I heard there was a forest fire fighter on this list. Does anyone
know what
> temperature the forest floor can reach during a fire?
>
> Now... if we could make a geocache container out of Inconel (a type
of
> metal), it would hold up very well in a forest fire! My hot air
balloon
> burner coils are made out of Inconel. It is a rather expensive
metal, but,
> can take an icredible amount of heat. My balloon burner puts out
25.7
> million (yes, million) BTU's of heat at it's highest output.
Typically flies