[Az-Geocaching] Geocachers who start out in Geocaching enthusiastically, but drop out abruptly

Darren Johnson listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 17:19:01 -0700

>There is another geocacher who I am aware of who started geocaching in
November >2001 and exceeded over 100 cache findings in less than two months,
but this person has >not logged a new cache finding since early February,
and last logged onto >Geocaching.com nearly a month ago (April 23).  I
wonder why such a person would start >out geocaching with such great
enthusiasm, yet drop out as abruptly as he went into it?
>Highpointer

Well, let me speak on behalf of those who are slightly "sporradic" with
their caching.

First a story:

The first cache I ever found was Metro Pecan, on the date of October 24
_2000_.  Yes.....way back then!. Metro Pecan was the first ever urban cache
in the state, and the 4th overall I believe.  It was my first geocache, and
funny enough, I was the first person to have found it.

Unfortunatly, being a business owner  I found so much of my time going
towards work that I couldn't get out much (if at all).

In February of 2001, I went for my second cache: Rats Nest.  A friend of
mine came out to visit and I wanted to show him geocaching.  That's how I
got my second cache.

And then the businesss took over my life again.

Finally, in June of last year, I finally got someone to work for me that I
trusted with leaving my store with and that would allow me to go out and
have some fun.

I managed to get a total of three caches before my truck got stolen.

So...it wasn't until late January of this year that I finally got a vehicle
that was worthy of Geocaching (my non-yello Jeep), and in February, managed
to log 56 caches.  I had someone working for me that would allow me to get
out and have a little fun.  I had a vehicle that would let me get to most of
the caches I wanted to...life was good.

In march I continued my little streak, until the last part of the month.  I
had to go to Vegas for a trade show.  That burned up about a week.  The week
after I got back  was spent mostly in my store working with and dealing with
things I saw at the trade show.  Just as that was beginning to calm down, I
had to go to Montana to help out my mom after her heart attack.

I actually managed to get one cache done while I was back there.

Since I've been back, it's been mostly getting caught up  with my business
for the time I've been gone.  I was gone for almost 4 weeks straight.
There's alot to catch up on after that kind of absence.

Now....what does this little story have to do with the original question:
 "I wonder why such a person would start out geocaching with such great
enthusiasm, yet drop out as abruptly as he went into it?"

The answer is this.......life.   The birth of a baby, the theft of a
vehicle, transfer to a different part of the country, the discovery of
online games like Everquest (bleah!), illness, a new shiner hobby comes
along,  dispproval of a signifigant other, broken equipment....I could go on
and on.

Now...myself....with luck, things will be back to normal at my store by this
week.  That'll allow me to get out a day or two each week, and back to a
hobby that has done a great deal for me.

Darren
Imperial Eagle