[Az-Geocaching] More on abandoned Caches

C. Sullivan listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 06:22:18 +0000 (GMT)

> This I don't agree with.  The Boca Boyz placed the Bat Cave Cache here,
> and I wouldn't expect them to make a special trip to Phoenix from Florida
> to check on the Cache.  However, if a number of no-finds are reported,
> and you live far away from your Cache, you could either email a request
> to a few people who HAVE found your Cache, to check to see if its still
> there, whenever they get a chance; or, at the very least, temporarily
> disable the Cache, stating that you can't conveniently check on it.
> I placed the Far Above the Greens Cache near Riverside, CA in December,
> and I won't make a special trip out there just to check on it.  But I
> WILL monitor it on the web closely, and do either of the above steps
> if need be.

This is wrong, I'm sorry.  Leaving a cache somewhere without having
established plans on how you are going to maintain it is nothing less than
littering.

You might want to actually read the guidelines for placing a cache.  The
guidelines state:

"Once you place the cache, it is your responsibility to maintain the cache
and the area around it. You'll need to return as often as you can to
ensure that your cache is not impacting the area, and ensure that the
cache is in good repair. Once people have visited the cache, inquire about
the cache and their opinion of the location. Does the area look
disturbed? Are visitors disrupting the landscape in any way? If you have
concerns about the location, feel free to move or remove it from the
area."

Key words: "You'll need to return as often as you can.."

Now, that dosen't mean that you can't place caches far from home.  But you
need to have a plan on how to maintain the cache.  If you are not local to
the cache, you should arrange in advance with somebody who can.

I'm sorry.  To do it any other way is irresponsible and contributing to
the problem.

> >Unmaintained Geocaches are just more litter on the side of the road.

And placing a cache somewhere you can't maintain it is littering.