[Az-Geocaching] One exception to "signing the log" rule

Baja Fleg listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 14:17:47 -0600

Sorry Scott, After reading again my email to you I didn't really mean to
direct this question at only you.

Anyway I wasn't to happy about this cache find that's for sure.  This is a
cache that has had a lot of no finds due to the terrain and hiding spot.
Here is the actual log they made:

Cache find #67. Burrrrrr - the winds were high and chilly. Sand blowing
everywhere - took awhile on this and was somewhat frustrated because we
really wanted to go - snowboarding14 found it - held it up and returned it
and then we ran back to the car -- we were so miserable we didn't even log
in cache. TNLN

I went to the cache site the next day and saw no foot prints in the sand and
I don't remember it being that windy that day.  What I was going to do was
delete it but then I figured who are they really cheating??  Maybe me a
little bit because I like to see people honestly find my caches and I don't
think they found it but mostly they are only cheating themselves.
Now they did find another one of our caches while here and as soon as I get
a chance I'm going to check that log book to see if they logged anything.
If they didn't then I will be deleting both the finds.

Michael
Team TJ

----Original Message Follows----

>Hey Scott what if someone logs a find on a cache that you own but they say
>for whatever reason that they didn't make a log in the log book.  What do
>you do??
>Yeah, on one of my caches that we own that did happen.
>
>Michael
>Team TJ

Howdy Michael,

First, my question to you: what did you do when that situation came up? Did
you allow the log entry to stand? If someone logs a find on one of my caches
and states they only saw it and never really got to it and logged their
visit... I would ask them to change their find log to a note until they can
get back there to log in or have their log deleted. No log... no find. Of
course, that is how I would do it. It is up to the individual cache owner to
decide what rules (if any) there will be. I will state in my cache
description a log entry must be made, just so the cacher knows that up
front.

I beleive that by reading all the posts on this recent subject... that the
large majority agree that a log should be made in the logbook to count as a
find. As the Roadrunners said... we need to maintain some integrity to this
hobby. If everyone started logging finds that said they saw it and never
logged in and the cache owner goes to retreive the cache log after say a
year and finds not a single log in it... that wouldnt be any fun, would it?

I have had several situations where I almost could not log into a cache,
even though I saw it. However, we always prevailed and got to the cache.
Urban caches this has happened often. I just be patient and wait for the
right moment to grab the cache or I just come back another time to get to
it.

I have spoken my .02cents on this thread and will speak no more! This is
just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

On the subject of hiding our first cache:

We havent hid our first cache yet (we are trying to break Sand Dollars
record for the most cache finds before placing one! - really bad cache
karma!)... Of course, if someone did do that (no log in the logbook)... I
guarantee they are not going to want to go all the way back to it again to
log in! ;) heheheehehehehhehehhe

We do have our first cache in my posession! Yes, it is an ammo box. There is
your only hint yall are gonna get! :)  We have a special place we want to
put our very first cache and it is not accessible right now until the land
closures are lifted. We have several other places we want to put one
including an urban cache. However, we want this first one to be special and
just cant place it right now.

I would like to place our first cache hide by balloon. However, we would
probably end up waiting a long time to accomplish that were we want to put
it! When we go out on adventure flights, that ammo box is coming with me and
if I find that perfect spot... I might just land and drop it off!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Scotts Adventure Flying Web Page (and now geocaching web page!)
http://www.safwp.bravepages.com