[Az-Geocaching] More on cache items

Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:24:53 -0800 (PST)

I agree with Sara. I don't know when you went to school, Ken, but it
is WAY different than when I went in the 70's. Obvious weapons and
drugs, of course, were not tolerated, but it is VERY strict now.
Smoking cigarettes was "tolerated" back then, too, and is NOT now. My
daughter can't even carry and self-administer an over the counter
medication, Lactaid, so she can eat dairy at school, without a note
from the DOCTOR (not just me, a parent). The high school here
(Prescott Valley) has a ZERO tolerance for most "offenses", and they
consider a letter opener to be a weapon, too.
Times have changed, alot.

It probably makes a difference, also, Ken, where you went to school.
Rural (esp. out west or south) areas, are probably more tolerant of
"weapons" like knives than they would be in the city.

I also agree with the previous thread about knives, or other
potentially dangerous items, in "urban" caches. You can't possibly
know the background of any kid that may find a cache in a neighborhood
park. Up in the rural caches, it is much less likely that an
unsupervised kid will find the cache (altho possible near
campgrounds). I have put pocket knives (and waterprrof matches) in
remote, mountainous caches, but I would never do that in any cache
that I think could be found by a child (alone). I have no problem with
that mother being alarmed and removing the knife, in fact, she acted
amazingly nice by emailing Denny about it. If it had been my kid, I
would have done the same thing. Just my 2 cents as a parent of
teens/preteens and a geocacher.

Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott