[Az-Geocaching] Az-Geocaching Digest, Vol 163, Issue 3

Flag_Mtn_Hkrs flag.mtn.hkrs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 19:46:35 CST 2009

>   1. Geocaching App for the Droid (Jim & Jacquie Godfrey)

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:02:23 -0700
> From: "Jim & Jacquie Godfrey" <jnjgodfrey at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Geocaching App for the Droid
> To: <az-geocaching at listserv.azgeocaching.com>
>
> We're Team Vegan from Surprise.  We're seriously considering getting the
> new
> Droid phone from Verizon.  Does anyone know if Groundspeak is going to be
> offering a geocaching app for it like they have for the iphone?  I've
> looked
> around at some of the forums but haven't found anything about it.
>

> Thanks!

We recently purchased a Sprint Hero which is and Android based phone. We
immediately purchased Cachemate for Android and are not very happy with it,
a waste of 10 hard earned dollars. It just doesn't seem to point us in the
direction we need to go when seeking caches. We are used to the learning
curve of Cachemate being cachemate users for the last 4 yrs on Palm but this
just isnt' the same experience.

On the other hand GeoBeagle is free, and we have found two caches with it so
far, and used it to log 10 or so caches. We enjoy using the field notes
feature and going home to log caches and having the time already there. The
radar feature you can add to the program is really fun as well. You can set
up GeoBeagle with twitter as well so folks that follow you know what caches
you have been hitting during the day. For us this makes for a very enjoyable
experience.

There area  few other applications for Geocaching on Android but for us the
free GeoBeagle is our favorite and the one we recommend. It will certainly
tide you over until Groundspeak gets with the program, literally, and
creates an application for such a wonderful phone operating system.

Mark & Johnny

Flag_Mtn_Hkrs
928-637-6151
Flag.Mtn.Hkrs at gmail.com