[Az-Geocaching] GC.com slow?

Michael Weiner hunter at userfriendly.net
Fri Feb 13 13:40:02 CST 2009

*nod*

<rant>
I agree, but having formally been the systems administrator that basically
built and ran the linux environment for AmericanGreetings.com a number of
years ago, and doing all that it took back then to survive the STORM on a
day like Valentine's Day at a greeting card company, i have an especially
keen sight on what it takes to run services like this. And if you really
want to talk about the /. affect i can definitely describe that in pretty
good detail, LOL. And honestly i dont get it...rather than paying for and
improving infrastructure for stability and good load balancing they focus on
things that dont necessarily improve their environment, but rather increase
the bottom line. Now, not that that is a bad model for a business, but when
folks are paying for 'services' and you cant provide them with a lot of
reliability, you will begin to loose your paying userbase and HURT your
bottom line in the long-term.
</rant>

Michael (of TeamDotOne)