[Az-Geocaching] CacheMate on Palm vs. CacheMate on Windows Mobile

AZcachemeister azcachemeister at getnet.net
Fri Feb 6 19:29:54 CST 2009

Not to nitpick, or disagree...but:

-Import GPX/LOC files directly without having to convert them to PDB
format on a PC (great for PQ updates)
I see how this could be handy, but I think I'd rather filter/upload via
GSAK.
-Log templates
Good to go with Palm version
-Plugins to export waypoints to variety of formats, including CSV, LOC,
Magellan SD File, MS Pocket Streets, PocketMap Navigator and KML (works
great with Google Maps for Mobile!)
Magellan SD, check; Magellan upload, check; Garmin query/upload, check;
Cetus and PathAway export, check; no .kml export...now that would be handy!
-Plugins to calculate distance, do projections and convert to other
coord formats
checkaroonie!
-Support for child waypoints
aren't they in the description?
-SpoilerSync integration
no comprende
-Support for voice notes
I have two Palm units capable of voice notes, not sure how that would
integrate with CacheMate.
-Integrated TB database that allows you to retrieve, discover and drop
trackables directly from the cache record, with all data for the TB
filled in except for the tracking number
-TB actions entered automatically in cache log entry
-TB nag alert
Considering the likelihood that the TBs listed in the cache will not be
there when I go, or that I will pick up a TB not even listed in the
cache,  I don't know if I'm really missing anything here. I can enter
details about what I dropped and/or picked up in my notes for the cache.
-Found log counter
I can set a preference to move found caches to a 'found' category, and
then query the number of records in that category.
-HTML logs/notes export
Export to Palm Memo Pad, viewable from the Palm desktop application
-Support for Corrected Coords (great for puzzles/multi's)
Something I'd rather use GSAK for.
-GPS support with new center point acquisition, waypoint navigation and
gps status plugin
Supported in the Palm version...if you have a cable to fit your handheld
and your GPS. In reality, the Bluetooth option is the only viable choice.

Bottom line: I don't think there is really such a huge difference.

ACM