[Az-Geocaching] Geocache

AZcachemeister azcachemeister at getnet.net
Sun Mar 16 13:35:16 MST 2008

The answers:

Plenty of room to park at the gate on the Bush Highway. The usual
caveats apply regarding roadside parking. You can get the combination to
the lock by acquiring a Bulldog pass at the Mesa Ranger station, it's
free! The Mesa ranger station is at N33° 26.915 W111° 43.255.
As I recall the road was in pretty good condition, and should be
traversable in a normal-clearance vehicle. Hard to say what it is like
today. I'm sure you could at least get your vehicle far enough off the
main road to minimize the chances of a break-in.

The Bulldog pass is only needed to open the gate, and drive a vehicle in
the area. You can hike or bike without one. I'm not sure if the new
'Tonto Pass' is needed to park by the roadside here or not. Since it is
not really 'an improved site', I don't think so.

Typical open desert. Lots of cacti and shrubs. The terrain is rather
gentle, but there are a few washes to cross.

Definitely a worthy cache for a milestone find!