[Az-Geocaching] Software for my PDA (Bob & Linda Smith)

Paul Hruby xqsxqs at qwest.net
Fri Jan 11 22:58:18 MST 2008

Bob,

I hope this makes it to the list serv.  I get the list via digest mode and
I've pretty much kept all the volumes.  I did a search on Compaq and came up
with the following:
I screen scraped what I could find.  Hopefully there's something in there
for you.

Paul aka Sonic Warthog

/snip
-----
GPXSonar is what I use now, but GpxView works well too.
-----
You can easily upgrade the OS on a PPC by doing a ROM upgrade, though you'll
need ActiveSync installed to do it in most cases.  I found a ROM upgrade at
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/15532.html
(which looks to include the PPC2002 End User Update), which should bring
your iPAQ up to date so that you can use most PPC software.

BTW, if you got GpxView to work on the included demo file but not on another
.GPX you're using, I seem to recall that it only worked with the 'untouched'
.GPX file from the PQ.  When I made changes to it in GSAK, it wouldn't load.
IIRC, there's an option in GSAK to generate .GPX files "with geocaching.com
extensions", which isn't enabled by default, but which resolves this issue.
-----
Dave,
Thank you so much.  I am sure that is the issue and I will go plinking
around GSAK and see if I can find that option.
-----
Well, maybe it was changed in one of the recent upgrades Clyde has
distributed (I'm now using v6.0.1), but it looks like that option is now on
by default, so that may not be the problem.  Under File->Export->GPX/LOC
File, 'Include GSAK extra fields in export' in the upper left part of the
dialog should be checked.
David
-----
Above from Digest Vol 12 issue 7  10/08/2005