[Az-Geocaching] New OHV regulations in Arizona will go into effect Jan. 1, 2009

ShadowAce shadowace.az at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 22:03:43 MST 2008

 This was just shown to me tonight by TeamBarstool so I thought I would
share before others find out the hard way..

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml

New OHV regulations in Arizona will go into effect Jan. 1, 2009

*FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS*
*You have questions, so here are the answers. Click on the headings below
for the latest information about the new OHV laws.*** (last updated Nov. 26,
2008)

*INTRODUCTION <http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#intro>*

   - *Why is the new law
needed?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#1>
   *
   - *What does the new law
do?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#2>
   *

*OHV DECAL / TITLE/ LICENSE PLATE / REGISTRATION
REQUIREMENTS<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#decal>
*

   - *What is the OHV
Decal?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#3>
   *
   - *What is considered an off-highway vehicle for the purpose of obtaining
   the OHV Decal? <http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#4>*
   - *How do I obtain the OHV Decal and what does it
cost?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#5>
   *
   - *Title, License Plate, OHV Decal and Registration: What steps do I need
   to take to be in compliance with the
law?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#6>
   *
   - *How do I register my OHV to be "street legal"? (i.e., to operate it on
   paved or maintained
roads)<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#7>
   *
   - *My OHV is currently registered for highway use and is street legal,
   but I primarily use it off
highway.<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#8>
   *
   - *I lost my license plate and/or my OHV Decal, now what do I
do?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#9>
   *
   - *I own a truck and would like to purchase the OHV Decal to help support
   the program. Can I do
that?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#10>
   *

*EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#eq>
* <http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#eq>

   - *What equipment is required to operate my OHV in
Arizona?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#11>
   *

*SAFE, ETHICAL AND RESPONSIBLE
OPERATION<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#safe>
*

   - *What are the new operating
regulations?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#12>
   *
   - *Can I operate on State Trust
Land?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#13>
   *
   - *Are there any OHV Decal exceptions -or- I'm from out-of-state do I
   need to purchase the OHV Decal?
*<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#Are>
   - *Where can I find more
information?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#14>
   *

*INTRODUCTION*

Thanks to a collaborative effort between a broad coalition of OHV
enthusiasts, sportsmen, conservationists, elected officials and the public,
new laws that will help better manage Arizona's rapidly growing OHV use will
take effect Jan. 1, 2009. *Among other provisions, the new law requires an
annual purchase of an Off-Highway Vehicle Decal for the operation of any ATV
or OHV in Arizona that meets both the following criteria:*

   - *Designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved
   terrain.*
   - *Has an unladen weight of eighteen hundred pounds or less.*

*Why is the new law needed?*

   - OHV use in Arizona has exploded (347 percent increase since 1998),
   outpacing the existing funding to manage that growth, protect wildlife
   habitat, and help maintain recreational access. Revenues generated from the
   new OHV Decal user fee will be used to help ensure sustainable opportunities
   and natural resource protection by bolstering funding and grant programs
   that pay for trail maintenance, signage, maps, facility development, habitat
   damage mitigation, education, and enforcement.

*What does the new law do?*

   - It specifies OHV Decal, title, license plate and registration
   requirements.
   - It specifies equipment requirements.
   - It specifies regulations for safe, ethical and responsible operation.

*OHV DECAL / TITLE/ LICENSE PLATE / REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS*

*What is the OHV Decal?*

   - The OHV Decal is a sticker that must be purchased annually to allow
   your OHV to be operated within Arizona. The decal will need to be applied to
   the upper left corner of your license plate, and your license plate will
   need to be visibly displayed on the rear of your OHV. The dollars collected
   through the purchase of the OHV Decal are considered an OHV user fee and
   apply to all OHVs meeting the bulleted criteria in the following paragraph.
   The OHV Decal should not be confused with "registration." Registration is
   required if you want your OHV to be "street legal" (i.e., operate it on
   paved and improved roads and streets.)

*What is considered an off-highway vehicle for the purpose of obtaining the
OHV Decal?*

   - An off-highway vehicle is any motor vehicle operated on unimproved
   roads, trails and approved use areas not suitable for conventional
   two-wheel-drive vehicular travel. Examples include: ATVs, UTVs, trail
   motorcycles and dirt bikes. *The requirement to purchase an OHV Decal
   only applies to OHVs meeting both of the following criteria:*
      - *Designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved
      terrain.*
      - *Has an unladen weight of eighteen hundred pounds or less.*
   - Pickup trucks, SUVs, cars and other recreational vehicles are
*not*required (and will
   *not* be able) to obtain an OHV decal.  All other regulations apply.

*How do I obtain the OHV Decal and what does it cost?*

   - The OHV Decal will be available for purchase starting January 1, 2009
   online at www.servicearizona.com or at a Motor Vehicle Division (MVD)
   Office or Authorized Third Party Provider. The cost of the OHV Decal is
   still being determined by MVD and is expected to be announced soon. Once the
   cost is announced, it will be posted at www.azdot.gov/mvd. The decal is
   valid for one year. It is the ATV/OHV owner's responsibility to purchase
   subsequent year decals.

*Title, License Plate, OHV Decal and Registration: What steps do I need to
take to be in compliance with the law?*

   - Your OHV/ATV must have an Arizona Certificate of Title in your name. If
   the vehicle is not titled in your name or you have an out-of-state title,
   you will need to visit an MVD Office or Authorized Third Party Provider to
   obtain an Arizona Certificate of Title. All ATV/OHV owners must obtain an
   Arizona Title for their vehicle(s) by July 1, 2009. Vehicles with an engine
   displacement less than 49cc's are not titled in Arizona.
   - The vehicle must have an Arizona license plate. The license plate must
   be securely attached to the rear of the vehicle and clearly visible.
   - If you need to confirm the vehicle has been issued a license plate and
   title, you may request a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) online at
   www.servicearizona.com or visit an MVD Office or Authorized Third Party
   Provider. The vehicle identification number (VIN), your driver license
   number and a $3.00 fee is required to obtain an MVR.
   - Purchase the annual OHV Decal for your OHV on-line at
   www.servicearizona.com or at an MVD Office or Authorized Third Party
   Provider.  The OHV Decal shall be affixed to the upper left corner of the
   license plate.
   - The OHV Decal is valid for one year from purchase. You will NOT be sent
   a renewal notice. *It is your responsibility to renew and display a
   current OHV Decal on your vehicle license plate annually*.
   - If you want to ride on improved and maintained roads, your OHV can be
   registered for "street legal" use in Arizona. Your vehicle will first need
   to be titled and then meet all on-highway equipment requirements, plus you
   will need to purchase the annual OHV Decal.

*How do I register my OHV to be "street legal"? (i.e., to operate it on
paved or maintained roads)*

   - Depending on how you plan to operate your OHV in Arizona, you have two
   - *Option 1*: If you operate *primarily off-highway*, then your vehicle
   is eligible for a reduced Vehicle License Tax (VLT) of $3.00 and waiver of
   the registration fee.  The following requirements must be satisfied:
      - You must purchase an OHV Decal. An OHV owner may request a free
      motor vehicle registration when paying for the OHV Decal.
      - The vehicle must be designed by the manufacturer primarily for
      travel over unimproved terrain and have an unladen weight of
1,800 pounds or
      less.
      - You must affirm that your vehicle is equipped for highway use and
      will be primarily used off-highway.
      - Registered vehicles must comply with mandatory insurance
      requirements.
      - Vehicle emission testing requirements may apply.

   - *Option 2*: If you operate *primarily on improved roads and
highways*(such as city driving), then you are required to register
your vehicle,
   including payment of all fees, through the standard registration process.
   You must also satisfy the following requirements:
      - If your vehicle is designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel
      over unimproved terrain and has an unladen weight of 1,800
pounds or less,
      you must purchase the OHV Decal.
      - You must affirm that your vehicle is equipped for highway use.
      - Registered vehicles must comply with mandatory insurance
      requirements.
      - Vehicle emissions testing requirements may apply.

*My OHV is currently registered for highway use and is street legal, but I
primarily use it off highway. (Option 1, listed above) When can I get the
reduced Vehicle License Tax (VLT) and the registration fee waived?*

   - At the time of your vehicle registration renewal, you will be eligible
   for the reduced VLT and the registration fee waived if your qualifying
   vehicle has a valid OHV Decal.  There are no refunds for VLT or registration
   and you WILL still need to purchase the OHV Decal to legally operate in
   Arizona as of Jan. 1, 2009.

*I lost my license plate and/or my OHV Decal, now what do I do?*

   - If it is lost, stolen or mutilated, then you may purchase a replacement
   for a $5.00 fee at an MVD Office or Authorized Third Party Provider.

*I own a truck and would like to purchase the OHV Decal to help support the
program. Can I do that?*

   - No, at this time the OHV Decal can only be purchased for qualifying
   vehicles:
      - Designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved
      terrain and
      - Has an unladen weight of 1,800 pounds or less

*EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS** *

*What equipment is required to operate my OHV in Arizona?*

   - Brakes.
   - Lighted head and taillights if operated between one half-hour after
   sunset and one half-hour before sunrise.
   - A muffler or noise dissipative device that prevents sound above 96
   decibels.
   - A United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)-approved spark
   arrestor device.
   - For those under 18, a properly fitted and fastened U.S. DOT-approved
   helmet.
   - Sand dunes and certain areas designated by a land managing agency may
   require a safety flag. The flag shall be at least 6 by 12 inches and
   attached to the OHV and flying at least 8 feet above the surface of the
   level ground.*
   *

*SAFE, ETHICAL AND RESPONSIBLE OPERATION*
*
What are the new operating regulations?*

   - Travel is limited to roads, trails and areas that are designated open
   by the land management agency for motorized vehicle use.
   - Travel by motorized vehicles that causes damage to wildlife habitat,
   riparian areas, cultural or natural resources or property or improvements is
   prohibited.
   - No reckless operation.
   - No removal or placement of regulatory signs.

*Can I operate on State Trust Land?*

   - An OHV meeting the 1,800-pound requirement and displaying the OHV Decal
   may cross State Trust Land only on designated or open existing roads and
   trails. Do not enter closed areas.
   - Operation of support vehicles (RV, truck, trailer, etc.) requires a
   recreational permit.
   - Any other recreational purposes (picnics, camping, etc.) require the
   purchase of the recreation permit from the Arizona State Land
Department.<http://www.land.state.az.us/programs/natural/recreation_permit.htm>

*Are there any OHV Decal exceptions -or- I'm from out-of-state do I need to
purchase the OHV Decal?<http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#15>
*

   - A person may operate an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle
   in Arizona without an off-highway vehicle user indicia (OHV Decal) if any of
   the following applies:

   - The person is participating in an off-highway special event
      - The person is operating an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway
      vehicle on private land
      - The person is loading or unloading an all-terrain vehicle or
      off-highway vehicle from a vehicle
      - During a period of emergency of if the operation is directed by a
      peace officer or other public authority
      - *All of the following apply* (For non-residents):
         - The person is not a resident of Arizona.
         - The person owns the vehicle
         - The vehicle diplays a current off-highway vehicle user indicia or
         registration from the person's state of residency.
      - The vehicle is not in Arizona for more than thirty (30) consecutive
         days.

   - *Note*: If your state does not title or register OHV's then you would
   be required to get an Arizona title and purchase the OHV Decal.

*Where can I find more information?*

   - ADOT Motor Vehicle Division – www.azdot.gov/mvd
   - Arizona State Land Department – www.land.state.az.us
   - Arizona State Parks –
www.azstateparks.gov/ohv<http://azstateparks.com/partnerships/ohv/OHVindex.html>
   - Arizona Game and Fish Department – www.azgfd.gov/ohv

Remember to leave no trace and "Nature Rules!" Stay on Roads and Trails!

*Still have questions?*

Contact us through the list of department phone numbers listed at: Agency
Directory <http://www.azgfd.gov/inside_azgfd/agency_directory.shtml>