[Az-Geocaching] Anyone using Garmin Topo 2008?

ShadowAce shadowace.az at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 15:07:10 MST 2008

Bringing it back from the dead because the vote is tomorrow..

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/local/81933.php

It should all be decided tomorrow....
===============================

Mayor Phil Gordon
City of Phoenix, Mayor's Office
200 W. Washington Street, 1 lth floor
Phoenix, Arizona 85003

Dear Mayor Gordon:

This is in reference to the two proposals that the U.S. Board on Geographic
Names has received, to change officially the name of Sauaw Peak in the City
of Phoenix. As you are likely aware, the U.S. Board is responsible by law
for standardizing geographic names for use by the Federal government and its
members must approve any new name or name change before it can appear on
Federal maps and publications. Because local acceptance of a name is very
important to the Board, we would like to know the opinion of the Phoenix
City Council regarding the issue.

The two proposals in question are to change the name of Squaw Peak to
Piestewa Peak or to Swilling Peak. The first was submitted to the Board in
November 2003 by Governor Janet Napolitano, and the second in April 2007 by
a resident of Prescott. In both instances, the proponents believe the word
"Squaw" is offensive to American Indian women and therefore should be
changed.

We presume the Mayor's Office is aware of much of the activity and
controversy that has surrounded the decision by the Governor to propose a
change fiom S~uawPe ak to Piestewa Peak, as well as the subsequent approval
of that proposal by the Arizona Board on Geographic and Historic Names
(AZBGHN). This approval took place on April 17,2003, just one month
following the death of Pfc. Lori Piestewa. Although the AZBGHN has
historically followed the U.S. Board's policy of requiring a five-year wait
following the death of an individual to (re)name a natural geographic
feature in hisfher honor, the majority of AZBGHN members believed there was
sufficient cause to set aside that requirement and to approve the change. In
July 2003, the AZBGHN voted to reaffirm its decision. In November of that
year, the Governor's office asked the U.S. Board to also waive its five-year
requirement but if that was not possible to hold the proposal until the
waiting period had passed. After reviewing the case, the U.S. Board members
determined that an exception to its Commemorative Naming Policy was not
warranted, and indeed no such exceptions have been made in the Board's
history (prior to 1995, the policy required just a one-year wait).

As you know, March 23, 2008 will be the fifth anniversary of Pfc. Piestewa's
death, so the proposal for Piestewa Peak, along with the second proposal for
Swilling Peak, will be brought before the U.S. Board at its first meeting
following that date, scheduled for Thursday, April 10th.

It is for this reason that we are writing now to seek the formal
recommendation of the City of Phoenix. It is our understanding that although
the then-Mayor of Phoenix spoke in favor of Piestewa Peak at the AZBGHN's
April 2003 meeting, it is unclear whether the entire City Council has issued
a statement on the matter. We also understand the City declined to provide a
recommendation on the counter-proposal Swilling Peak. In order for the U.S.
Board to vote on these issues at its April meeting, and because evidence of
local use and acceptance is critical to the Board's deliberations, we would
very much welcome any input you can provide. We have also asked the Maricopa
County Board of Supervisors to comment officially on the issue.

We can add that since April 2003, our office has received letters and
e-mails from numerous Phoenix area residents, 30 of whom support the change
to Piestewa Peak and approximately 75 oppose it. An additional three dozen
individuals have contacted us to protest the Governor's and the AZBGHN'S
actions, but they did not offer any specific opinion regarding the name
itself. In recent months, as the five year anniversary approaches and as
individuals become aware that the U.S. Board will be voting on the issue, we
have received several additional e-mails both for and against the change,
and once again, several who continue to protest the Governor's actions.
Needless to say, this is a small percentage of the amount of correspondence
that has been submitted to the AZBGHN over the past five years, a copy of
which has been and continues to be forwarded to us. Many of those who object
to the name change claim S~uawPe ak is a well-established historic name that
was never intended to be used as a derogatory term, and that they will
continue to use the name. We understand the park in which the summit is
located has been renamed, as has the Squaw Peak Parkway, but also that many
local businesses, City and County facilities, and area roads continue to
bear the name Squaw Peak.

The second proposal, to change the summit's name to Swilling; Peak, was
submitted to the U.S. Board in April 2007. The proponent is a local
historian who believes it would be more appropriate to honor Jack Swilling
(1830-1878), one of the original founders of Phoenix, than to apply the name
Piestewa Peak "a designation not favored by the majority of Arizona
citizens."

In summary, the members of the U.S. Board appreciate any additional insight
or evidence you can provide in order to assist them in rendering their
decision on April 10th.

Thank you once for your assistance in this matter and we look forward to
hearing fiom you. If you have any questions or to submit your
recommendation, we may be contacted by mail at the address above; by
telephone at (703) 648-4552; by fax at (703) 648-4549; or by email at <
BGNEXEC at usgs.gov>.

Lou Yost
Executive Secretary
Domestic Names Committee