[Az-Geocaching] Steve Fossett search

Gale sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 02:10:14 MST 2007

That was cool. I did that for far longer than I should have perhaps. My eyes are a bit buggy. I hope they find him, for the peace of mind of the family at least.

PThomp9719 at aol.com wrote:     This may be of interest to some of the geocaching community.  A way to  help.
 Golefts

Steve Fossett has been missing in the Nevada desert since he went  for a short flight last Monday and never returned. You can help find him. The  search is going on and not diminishing, although coverage on the news has scaled  back somewhat. A week sounds like a long time, but he is a stubborn,  knowledgeable survivalist. If anyone can come through this it will be him, but  he is undoubtedly in need of assistance or he would have hiked out by now. So it  is vital that the search for him continue and in that area you can all  help.

They are using a systematic search of satellite images and  anyone with a computer who can examine the images can help. All the details are  on his website: www.stevefossett.com .  They are also asking for helicopters and observers to aid in the search  directly. Internet satellite image analysis: 'The 'Amazon Mechanical Turk'  internet-based satellite image analysis project continues in its efforts to find  Steve. To offer your help, please go to:
 http://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?groupId=9TSZK4G35XEZJZG21T60&kw=Flash

There you will be shown sample images of a similar aircraft and an  actual recent single satellite image to review. You will be asked to note if  there are any objects that resemble an airplane like the one Steve Fossett was  last seen flying on Monday. The instructions to report are  straightforward.
You can also see the same area in context on Google Earth,  although to ensure you see the most recent image of the assigned area on Google  Earth you will need to follow additional instructions.
We would like once  again to express our deep thanks to all who have volunteered their time and  equipment, to those are participating in the Amazon Mechanical Turk project as  well as to those who have sent their heartfelt best wishes and prayers for  Steve.