[Az-Geocaching] Old mines

Josh Simpson simp_jk at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 01:19:09 MST 2007

I vaguely heard about this tonight. I'm a new geocacher and typically geocache alone. My parents were born in AZ and I have lived here my whole life, yet I'm unaware of the hazardous abandoned mineshafts. I would appreciate it if you can give some tips or even pics on what to look for to avoid old mine shafts in the desert. I don't really know what an old mine shaft would look like so I'm not sure how to avoid them. Thanks.

BTW, this is the first time I'm using this listserv forum thing.....so I'm also trying to see how it works.

Gale <sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com> wrote: By now, most of you have heard about the 3 girls on their atv near Chloride who fell into an old mine shaft. Ive lived in Arizona for decades. I had the dangers of old mines drilled into me. Ive always been careful when Ive been out wandering in the desert. Despite that, I nearly fell into an old mine myself back in 1986 or 1987. I was watching where I was going, in an area around Pearce in southern Arizona. I took a step over a rise, around a bush, and nearly stepped right into a shaft. The angle of it prevented me from seeing it. I tossed rocks into it, and could hear them land far down the shaft. As geocachers, many of us go out in the areas where there are old mines. I urge people (especially those new to Arizona) to be careful and never underestimate the dangers of those old mines.

    Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

 Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes
  On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:
"Something hidden.  Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --
  "Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

 Rudyard Kipling ,   The Explorer  1898

Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally,  mobile search  that gives answers, not web links.   ____________________________________________________________