[Az-Geocaching] Halloween RadioActive Event

Marc Tamis mtamis at relayallowed.com
Fri Oct 12 19:13:50 MST 2007

I want all to know this is only coming from me. Tamo himself. The content
to follow does not in any way reflect the opinions of anyone else.

I want to apologize to the general geocaching community for trying to be
innovative and unique with our event and our caches for that matter. We
set out 5 years ago to create a milestone event and we have accomplished
that. This year, however,  we apparently went over our boundaries
according to some. This was not our intent in any way, but we knew there
would be issues with it.

I also want to extend an apology to all the hardworking and dedicated HR
staff that have openly given to the general geocaching community their
hearts and sole only to be trampled on by others that I alone have done.
Attacks on the event should have been directly aimed at me and not the
event. I am sorry that a few must always trash other’s hard work.

We have finished our appeal process with GC.com. They rightfully have
taken the listing off. Even though we gave valid arguments, the one
argument that could not be fought was complaints from the community about
the event. This was the stopping block in getting any decision reversed.
If you feel differently, we invite you to write GC.com and let then know
how you feel about it. I think it important not for this event, but for
the future of events. Geocaching.com should know how we feel about it and
the kinds of events we would like to see.

For those of you that did complain to GC.com, I thank you. We did not
expect anything less and would have been surprised if we did. We do not
know what was said to them, but it must have been some very compelling
arguments to make them react as they have. I invite you to write me
personally and tell me what exactly it is you have a problem with? I truly
would like to know. At this time, I can only guess. I would have also
liked the curtesy to have the opertunity to validate any complaints that
you have before things have moved to this point. I'm sorry this did not
happen.

I also do know that some of you are having an issue with the general
public intruding on our secret society. However, with manufactures, GC.com
themselves, and people like Cabella’s (assume spelled correctly), that are
openly pushing geocaching in to the public, we felt it would be a good
idea to invite them to meet other geocachers so they can be introduced
properly to the sport. And what better group to do that with? And what a
better time?

As you may know, Steve and Judi Gross, myself and my wife, went around the
state to find out what the general needs of the community were. We wanted
to start an association so other’s coming in to the sport had a common
place to go, among many other things, like putting on events like the HR.
Though everyone wanted to do it, the bottom line is six of us tried
putting it together. Though to date no one has thanked them, I do so now.
But in the end, the outcome is the same. Hence, our hope to do what we can
to keep geocaching legal in this state and keep the quality of geocaching
in general.

As far as the cost goes, everyone involved in this event knows that money
has never been the issue. Julie and I have gladly donated the money to put
on this event, while others have as well. Most think we are totally nuts
for even doing this, let alone the costs. This year our costs have been
monumental. If anyone thinks we will make any kind of profit, I would like
to know how because I would love to just break even.

My only regret in what we have done this year is not to have the ability
to have the people who do come be able to sign on-line.

I challenge the community that has had nothing good to say – to host an
event equivalent to Halloween RadioActive. I will even offer my help to
put it on. This is a sincere offer. Please take me up on it. Our community
should have other events like it.

I thank all of you who have either in public or in private, expressed your
support for us and our event. It has meant a lot to all of us working on
putting this together.

We hope to see you there and have yet another great time.

Tamo